Dosing Phosphate RX in All-in-One systems?

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of threads about Phosphate RX with folks with sump systems and using filter socks to remove bound phosphate "floculate" solids from the water. Has anyone used Phosphate RX in their All-in-one (AIO) systems, and relied on just their their skimmers to successfully remove the floculate from the water? I have a 34 gallon AIO with a Tunze 9001 skimmer, no filter sock. Looking to bring my phosphates down from .65. (Already using Rowaphos in a simple media bag, and Chemipure blue carbon for the past couple months. I do weekly 10 gallon water changes, and use RODI water.) I am adverse to using chemicals/additives long term, so am hoping to use Phosphate RX as a one time fix to bring my phosphates down to under .1 then maintaining with Rowaphos going forward. LPS corals, fish, inverts all healthy, tank is clean, no issues. Just want to get phosphates lower before I start adding SPS corals. Happy with all other parameters. Thanks for the help in advance!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming no tangs or sponges, I think a very low dose to gradually, over the course of days, to remove would be ok.

OP
OP
S

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I do have one blue hippo tang. No sponges or clams. My plan would be to gradually dose over a week. Recommended dose is 20 drops for 28 gal net water volume, so I was thinking 10 drops, then after 3 days another 10 drops. Of course testing daily to watch levels for a week.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I do have one blue hippo tang. No sponges or clams. My plan would be to gradually dose over a week. Recommended dose is 20 drops for 28 gal net water volume, so I was thinking 10 drops, then after 3 days another 10 drops. Of course testing daily to watch levels for a week.
Less and dose every day. 5 drops spread out over 2 or 3doses, every day would be safe. You should see more creamy consistency to skimmate.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon AIO. I used phosphate RX recently to bring down my phosphate level. It was over 1 and is now steady at .25. Go slow. I started with half the recommended dose and tested the next day. I repeated every few days until I achieved my my desired levels. I diluted the solution with tank water and poured it in the first chamber through filter floss and a polishing pad. The next chamber over is my skimmer. No harm was done to any live stock, (7 nano fish, blood shrimp, coral banded shrimp, snails, hermits, anemones, anemone crab, SPS, LPS, Softies). Just go slow. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
S

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon AIO. I used phosphate RX recently to bring down my phosphate level. It was over 1 and is now steady at .25. Go slow. I started with half the recommended dose and tested the next day. I repeated every few days until I achieved my my desired levels. I diluted the solution with tank water and poured it in the first chamber through filter floss and a polishing pad. The next chamber over is my skimmer. No harm was done to any live stock, (7 nano fish, blood shrimp, coral banded shrimp, snails, hermits, anemones, anemone crab, SPS, LPS, Softies). Just go slow. Good luck to you.
Thank you! Super helpful! Good to know you had no issues. Will go slow, and test daily.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do tangs have anything to do with phosphate rx?
What seahawkmom said

OP
OP
S

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some Phosphate RX today, but before I start dosing, I'm going to up my Rowaphos in media bags in the back of my tank. I found a calcluator, and turns out I had way too little in the media bag, so I put a 2nd bag with more rowaphos, and I'll give it a couple more weeks to see how it does lowering the phosphates, and if plateaus again, and doesn't get under .1, I'll slowly add a few drops at a time of Phosphate RX into my skimmer compartment over several day, and test each day. Really want to make sure I don't hurt my tang.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some Phosphate RX today, but before I start dosing, I'm going to up my Rowaphos in media bags in the back of my tank. I found a calcluator, and turns out I had way too little in the media bag, so I put a 2nd bag with more rowaphos, and I'll give it a couple more weeks to see how it does lowering the phosphates, and if plateaus again, and doesn't get under .1, I'll slowly add a few drops at a time of Phosphate RX into my skimmer compartment over several day, and test each day. Really want to make sure I don't hurt my tang.
Take out the rowaphos when you start the phos rx. Gfo can de sorb po4 if the
Po4 water concentration drops. Rowa claims it doesn't de sorb, but who knows.

OP
OP
S

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the rowaphos when you start the phos rx. Gfo can de sorb po4 if the
Po4 water concentration drops. Rowa claims it doesn't de sorb, but who knows.
Good idea. Better to have just one variable at a time dealing with phosphates in my tank. I’ll put the media in a ziploc bag to keep it moist, then quick rinse and put back in once phosRX is done to maintain.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back