Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R members, I'm going to be buying and setting up a dosing pump soon and was wondering something. When I run the tubing into dosing container/ 2 part bottle etc. won't the bottom of the bottle have all the condensed elements? As in, on the bottle it says shake before use, but if it's connected to a dosing pump you can't shake it. Is this anything to worry about?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you intend to dose?

If it needs to be shaken, then I'd suggest you add a small pump into the container and run it 24/7.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To further if it needs to be stirred you can use a magnetic stirrer on a timer to ensure it is suspension. If you use GHL they have a stirrer that you can integrate as part of their doser.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 part I generally shake it every time I remember. Maybe every 1 month or every 2 months but I didnt notice much inconsistency with consumption when i dont mix it so wouldnt not pay much attention to it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R members, I'm going to be buying and setting up a dosing pump soon and was wondering something. When I run the tubing into dosing container/ 2 part bottle etc. won't the bottom of the bottle have all the condensed elements? As in, on the bottle it says shake before use, but if it's connected to a dosing pump you can't shake it. Is this anything to worry about?

Two part alk and calcium solutions do not settle or otherwise need mixing.

Sometimes if the alk part is made too concentrated or it gets too cold, there can be some sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate precipitation. Warming or diluting more solves this.

Any minor amount of precipitate that forms initially on making the solutions can be ignored.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on using a jebao dosing pump. A GHL would be great but way out of my price range lol. The 2 part I use it Seachem Reef Fusion

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Jjebao DP-4 and have never had any issues with the Red Sea Foundation Program. I run Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. Every now and then I will have a little build up of on the bottom of my container from the Alkalinity; however, my tubing is cut at a 45 degree angle so it has never been an issue. I usually let the container get to about 5% then I will just dump out the rest with the build up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on using a jebao dosing pump. A GHL would be great but way out of my price range lol. The 2 part I use it Seachem Reef Fusion

Seachem does say to shake it, and they have pushed to concentration of the alk part pretty high, but shaking is , IMO, an unnecessary complexity.

Also note that despite the claims, it is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing of the two parts.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing the same shortly. I just picked up a Jebao 2.4 wifi dosing pump last week.
It's still in the box. Now I need some cheap dosing containers and the tubing/fittings.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem does say to shake it, and they have pushed to concentration of the alk part pretty high, but shaking is , IMO, an unnecessary complexity.

Also note that despite the claims, it is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing of the two parts.

Ooh interesting and good to know. Is there a different 2 part solution with in the same price range that you recommend instead? I was thinking of starting BRS 2 part but not sure yet

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh interesting and good to know. Is there a different 2 part solution with in the same price range that you recommend instead? I was thinking of starting BRS 2 part but not sure yet

If you want a complete two part, I know that ESV B-ionic is good. if you want a DIY (like my DIY that BRS sells), then that is a fine way to go.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a complete two part, I know that ESV B-ionic is good. if you want a DIY (like my DIY that BRS sells), then that is a fine way to go.

No way! The BRS one's your formula?!? I'll definitely put more consideration into both of those then, Probably go with BRS due to affordability

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! The BRS one's your formula?!? I'll definitely put more consideration into both of those then, Probably go with BRS due to affordability
I've used the BRS two part for years. Very consistent. I'm sure there are easier ways, but I'm a creature of habit. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Oh yeah. No shaking required once it's mixed.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the BRS two part for years. Very consistent. I'm sure there are easier ways, but I'm a creature of habit. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Oh yeah. No shaking required once it's mixed.

Sweet, I'm definitely thinking of switching over! Whats the average dosing recommendations for it??

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I'm definitely thinking of switching over! Whats the average dosing recommendations for it??
BRS has a calculator designed to figure out dosing by Alk consumption on their website. Works really good. To be honest, once I got my dosing schedule down, I've just increased dosing amounts by eyeballing it as the consumption rises. After a while, you kind of get a feel for it. Of course, I test at least weekly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back