reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the brs pumps for over 3 years controlled by a reef keeper. Been very reliable and works well. I just recently had to change out all the lines. 25 bucks and it's working as good as new.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if the brs has a known dose rate . Would they still need calibration?

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On initial start up just ran them with water to fill lines. Then let it run for about 10 mins in a measuring cup to see how much it dosed. Satisfied with results I cleared lines then let solution run through.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Kamoer as a nice middle ground cost/quality. I recently did a review of the F4 version and so far it's worked perfectly for me. I haven't used it long enough to know how long calibration holds but my first test reveals its bang on down to .1ml accurate (after calibration).

I used an older kamoer pump for several years without issue. The BRS dosing pumps you don't calibrate but you have to test them to make sure they are running at the right dosage amount. I've used them in the past with success as well but once you start talking about getting 2-3 or more a 4 pump dosing pump is more economical unless you have spots on a controller you already have for them.

If you are REALLY paranoid you could always use real small dosing containers that way worst case it dumps a weeks worth of alk vs a month. I thought about doing this but I've yet to have a dosing pump error on any of the pumps I've used.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just keep manual dosing for now until I have enough to get a higher quality dosing pump

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the Jebao's need to be calibrated. To be honest ,I'm not good at that sort of thing. Are all dosers this way? I think I can buy one that is already known to dose so much per minute or such ? I'd rather pay for the peace of mind.

Yes, ALL dosers need to be calibrated. The Apex DOS doser comes with its own 50 ml graduated cylinder, just so you can calibrate them. When I finally got around to calibrating my three BRS 1.1 dosers (driven by an Apex) I found that two were actually dosing at 1.0 ml/min and the third was dosing at 0.9 ml/min. Calibration isn't especially difficult. First, you need a graduated cylinder (like one of these - https://www.amazon.com/Lab-Cylinders/b?ie=UTF8&node=393349011). Second, you need a cheap kitchen timer (like one of these - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node=289812&field-keywords=digital+kitchen+timer).

To test a doser, have the input coming in from some liquid, like water, and the output going to your empty graduated cylinder. Start the doser running, and when the drips start entering your cylinder, start the timer. When the timer hits 60 seconds, pull the output out of the cylinder (or simply stop the doser).

Then check the ml level of the liquid in your cylinder. That level will be your correct millimeter/minute amount, and the calibration number you are seeking.

Personally, I prefer to run the timer for 10 minutes, and then divide the cylinder's content by 10 for a little finer measurement.

Hope this helps...

cobast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Johnlen pumps. These are each independent pumps and you set them to your specific requirements.. e.g. nitrate remover 1ml/2 hrs, kalk 34ml/hr, calcium chloride 7ml/hr, etc.
The units must be calibrated when you set them up by using the supplied 10ml graduated 'cylinder'. This takes just a few minutes and is easy. Any dosing or perilstaltic pump should be calibtated regularly. That includes scientific units costing thousands.
Mine have been running for a couple of years now with only one tube developing a leak and the dose rate varying by 0.4 ml.

Sobiech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately for all equipment the question is not “if it fails” but “when it fails”...

Yes! I was stupid to think my luck would continue since I hadn’t had any issues, but I learned a lot and I’m a way better reefer because of it.

Should have believed everyone when they said not if but when!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I was stupid to think my luck would continue since I hadn’t had any issues, but I learned a lot and I’m a way better reefer because of it.

Should have believed everyone when they said not if but when!

This is the main reason why I continue to manual dosing, too much fishes and money at risk.

Sobiech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main reason why I continue to manual dosing, too much fishes and money at risk.

It took me 9 straight hours to get my alk down and to get my tank back to a level where I
Could see the fish and coral. It looked like 5 gallons of whole milk had been dumped in. I’m sticking with manual dosing for now as well. Had I lost corals other then the birdsnest I would have had a mental breakdown.

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me 9 straight hours to get my alk down and to get my tank back to a level where I
Could see the fish and coral. It looked like 5 gallons of whole milk had been dumped in. I’m sticking with manual dosing for now as well. Had I lost corals other then the birdsnest I would have had a mental breakdown.

Sorry for your loss Sobiech, I hope you recover soon.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the end of the day everyone runs their systems different as far as equipment some use cheaper products some go with more expensive products its simply luck of the draw just like bigjohnny mentioned go what the heck wat ur budget allows research i will be using the triton method so i need a dosing pump as well because my schedule is hectic as far as work n family so need some thing reliable and good so i will be asking members for their opinions and doin my research as well before i make my decision

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying all equipment eventually will fail, even with backup sensors as they can fail/lose calibration. Auto dosing requires too many safety guards and discipline to maintain everything properly working. Against that in my case I do prefer manual dosing.

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Johnlen pumps. These are each independent pumps and you set them to your specific requirements.. e.g. nitrate remover 1ml/2 hrs, kalk 34ml/hr, calcium chloride 7ml/hr, etc.
The units must be calibrated when you set them up by using the supplied 10ml graduated 'cylinder'. This takes just a few minutes and is easy. Any dosing or perilstaltic pump should be calibtated regularly. That includes scientific units costing thousands.
Mine have been running for a couple of years now with only one tube developing a leak and the dose rate varying by 0.4 ml.
Do you have any idea where I might get a couple of those pumps? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back