Dosing Pump Siphon?

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that 3 roller peristaltic pumps prevent siphoning, but 2 rollers may not. Neptune's DOS, expensive as it is, is a 2 roller. Who makes 3 roller pumps?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it any dosing pump should prevent a siphon if working as it should. As long as one roller has the tube collapsed then it shouldn't siphon. I suppose a 2 roller dosing pump does have a higher chance of siphoning because it will usually only have 1 roller collaping the tube whereas a 3 roller pump will often have 2. My dos doesn't not siphon.
There are plenty of manufacturers that have 3 rollers per head, ghl, Red Sea, kamoer, and I'm sure many others.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that 3 roller peristaltic pumps prevent siphoning, but 2 rollers may not. Neptune's DOS, expensive as it is, is a 2 roller. Who makes 3 roller pumps?
Depends on the design of the head unit. The DOS head is designed so the roller is compressing the tubing for more than half the rotation of the head. So there is always a roller somewhere compressing the tubing when it is off. Most dosing heads don't compress the tubing for such a long distance around the head so they require at least 3 to keep one roller always compressing the tubing.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that a three roller pump can siphon also. Especially if you foolishly put your pump and container above the tank :)
Any dosing pump can siphon if the roller doesn't completely pinch off the tube, ecspecially as parts begin to wear out. So as I'm sure you know the best method is to plan it so your pump siphoning doesn't hurt anything. My dos is setup to where if it does leak around the roller (well technically the tube being pinched by the roller) all that happens is the 2 part in the dosing line falls back down into the dosing container.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back