Dosing question

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
okay r2r got a question for everyone. I’m a fairly well versed and experienced reefer at the age of 27 currently been in the hobby for 12 years. Most everything I’ve learned (like most others) has been through trial and error and research.

currently my tank is an all acro 75 gallon reef tank. Simple set up nothing crazy. Really all I run is a skimmer and filter socks along with dosing.

currently dosing a local product called “oceans blend” (check them out, not a sponsor lol) they make some awesome stuff all the main products food, mag, part 1&2, iodine and many others.

I’m only dosing part 1 and 2 and acro power (I struggle with low nitrate) all this being said recently I bumped up to having to dose 65ml a day of both solution and 6ml for acro power.

I know there’s tons of people dosing 100ml a day so my 65 isn’t a ton. But at what point do I have to start considering other options from dosing? At what point do I finally say okay adding this much into the tank just isn’t cutting it anymore?

the two main numbers I struggle with is PH (usually 7.7-7.9 high snd low) and magnesium which for my all acro rain fairly important lol. (Usually 12900-1350 high low). I have about as much surface agitation I can get without splashing over the tank and as far as the magnesium, calcium is already 435 (which I like)

I’ve always felt like I’ve been a successful reefer never having any major problems able to always sense when my tank is doing well or when there was about to be a problem. I ask all this to try and take my hobby to the next level if anyone has ideas for the mag and ph please do tell thank you!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 is a similar setup. 7" sock, skimmer, bag of carbon.
I dosed 2 part, esv, for a year and went to a carx. Super simple and very stable. My ph is 7.9-8.1.
Ph did not change when going from 2 part to a carx setup.
I dose DSR EZ-Trace which keeps my mag between 1300-1400 and K at 400-420. I only dose 5ml a day of it.

Low ph may require a co2 scrubber.
I used one on my nano but it was not cost effective on my 120 or 45 frag system just to get a .1 bump.
Running your skimmer intake outside will help if possible.

Have you thought of using a small amount of kalk in your ato. I did this for awhile and it did bring the ph up and did not effect alk or ca levels. I added around 1/4 teaspoon to 5 gallons which brings the ph above 10 and helps.
My house is closed all summer do to 100°+ temps and most of the winter too.

OP
OP
twhit030

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahh never thought of the kalk! Good idea!

I may just keep dosing possibly add a co2 scrubber is there any equation or calculator that I can find to try snd roughly figure out how much the scrubber will help my system? Or is it kind of like buy it hook it up and pray that it increases by the amount you need

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on how much co2 is in your house.
A larger scrubber is better than a small one.

Try the kalk first and outside air for your skimmer then a scrubber.

Also verify your ph is correct.
I have 2 hand held meters to cross check ph. Plus calibrate before each reading.
Also make sure your ph probe is kept in solution and clean.
Its always good to have a means to check all parameters more than one way. It has kept me out of trouble for over 30 years.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 146 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back