Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm not sure of the distinction since what I used is called distilled white viengar (cheapest viengar at a grocery store).

Like this one:
1652356377234.png

Biglew11

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
quick google search came up with this

"There is no difference between white vinegar and distilled vinegar. White vinegar, distilled vinegar and white distilled vinegar are three names that refer to a type of vinegar made from a grain-alcohol mixture.

There are different types of vinegar available on the market. White vinegar and distilled vinegar are two names we use to refer to the same product – white distilled vinegar. In most households, white vinegar has the main use as a cleaning agent, rather than an ingredient in cuisine. However, it has many uses – in cooking, cleaning, gardening as well as some medicinal uses."

from here.
https://pediaa.com/what-is-the-diff...rence between,vinegar available on the market.

OP
gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm not sure of the distinction since what I used is called distilled white viengar (cheapest viengar at a grocery store).

Like this one:
1652356377234.png
Thanks.

The reason for asking is that due to global problems plus the very wet summer here, cheap vinegar is difficult to find as everyone is using it for cleaning :)

My understanding now is that the normal supermarket vinegar (here) is the direct product of a fermentation process which is unpasteurized, whereas the distilled version has evaporated the alcohol off and captured it.

Distilled was available in 4% or 8% acetic acid at my local supermarket, but not at the moment.

Not sure about putting the undistilled version into my tank with whatever other products may remain from the fermentation process.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks.

The reason for asking is that due to global problems plus the very wet summer here, cheap vinegar is difficult to find as everyone is using it for cleaning :)

My understanding now is that the normal supermarket vinegar (here) is the direct product of a fermentation process which is unpasteurized, whereas the distilled version has evaporated the alcohol off and captured it.

Distilled was available in 4% or 8% acetic acid at my local supermarket, but not at the moment.

Not sure about putting the undistilled version into my tank with whatever other products may remain from the fermentation process.

Do you have a link to a product you may want to use?

AS
OP
gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Do you have a link to a product you may want to use?
Sure,

Not sure if that level of sodium is material, now I think about it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sure,

Not sure if that level of sodium is material, now I think about it.

I’m sure that’s perfectly fine to use. It’s a little weaker than the 5% that many folks use, so you’d dose a bit more to match their dose.

Peninsula Reef Tanks...

• I currently have one

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I used to have one set up

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I would like to try one in the future

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • No interest

Votes: 23 20.9%
QT FISH