double check my plumbing purchase?

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting together parts to put a sump on my 75g. Plumbing is confusing. Can someone take a look at these parts and let me know if I'm missing anything? I'm using the eshopps pf-800 HOB overflow, and a Syncra Silent 3.0 Pump (714 GPH) - Sicce for the return pump.

So plan is, 1 inch spigot x barbed fitting (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/gray-male-pipe-adapter-spigot-x-barb.html) off the overflow to 1 inch id braided vinyl tubing into the sump.

Then 3/4 inch tubing off the return pump to a 3/4 inch spigot x barbed fitting (amazon since BRS is out of stock: ) into a slip fitting gate valve (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/economy-gate-valve-slip-x-slip.html), then same on the other side of the valve then into a 3/4" eshopps return jet (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-4-barbed-return-jet-eshopps.html).

Does all that seem like it will fit?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like it should all work.

the gate valve may be a bit hefty, so maybe have it pretty close to the pump. Also, you dont have a check valve in your plan, so just remember if the power goes out, your water will drain to the lowest point of plumbing in your tank (and the return jet sits a little deep). just make sure your sump can handle the water volume.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like it should all work.

the gate valve may be a bit hefty, so maybe have it pretty close to the pump. Also, you dont have a check valve in your plan, so just remember if the power goes out, your water will drain to the lowest point of plumbing in your tank (and the return jet sits a little deep). just make sure your sump can handle the water volume.
Check valve. Good thinking. That's why I asked. :)

Kinda hard to tell how big that valve will end up being. Do you happen to have experience with the other valves BRS carries? Is there one that would be a better size?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valve. Good thinking. That's why I asked. :)

Kinda hard to tell how big that valve will end up being. Do you happen to have experience with the other valves BRS carries? Is there one that would be a better size?
no i think you are fine... honestly i've always used the home depot cheap valves, but the gate valves are nicer (HD just doesnt carry them). Also my last few setups have used hard plumbing from the pump to the check valve and then tubing to the tank (my current setup is a DC programmable pump so I don't even use a gate valve).

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i think you are fine... honestly i've always used the home depot cheap valves, but the gate valves are nicer (HD just doesnt carry them). Also my last few setups have used hard plumbing from the pump to the check valve and then tubing to the tank (my current setup is a DC programmable pump so I don't even use a gate valve).
OK. Thanks for the reply.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back