double sump and algae scrubber config

danielh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 93g cube, 30x30 footprint. Looking to have two 20g long tanks beside each other. The water will drain through a filter sock in to the first 20g long with 75% of it open before baffles to the return pump. The skimmer will sit in this section. The return will be going to a manifold where I will divert enough water back to a top down algae scrubber that drains in to the other 20g long that I will use for a refugium with some rubble and chaeto. I plan to drill both tanks near the middle on the side and connect the two UNDER the water line in the primary sump. That way the two can help handle the water when the pump is turned off.

Does that make any sense? Any suggestions?

peterj66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably use a flexible hose connecting the two tanks to avoid strain on the glass. Otherwise I've heard of people doing it this way succesfully. Good luck!

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 93g cube, 30x30 footprint. Looking to have two 20g long tanks beside each other. The water will drain through a filter sock in to the first 20g long with 75% of it open before baffles to the return pump. The skimmer will sit in this section. The return will be going to a manifold where I will divert enough water back to a top down algae scrubber that drains in to the other 20g long that I will use for a refugium with some rubble and chaeto. I plan to drill both tanks near the middle on the side and connect the two UNDER the water line in the primary sump. That way the two can help handle the water when the pump is turned off.

Does that make any sense? Any suggestions?

Do you have the stand? I'm currently in the same boat. I have a 30x30x18 (70g). I did a diy stand, I can't fit 2x20g longs under it. But I can fit 2x20g tall.

If your stand is 30x30 you will have issues fitting 2x20g long under.

I like your idea but I'd be concerned about drilling the hole in the same place on two tanks. You will want to use PVC pipe for this.

I was going to raise one of my 20g tall tanks and have it drain into the other 20g tank. I really like your idea though.

OP
OP
danielh

danielh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The potential problem with draining one to the other is the excess water the second one has to hold when the pump is off.

Thinking now I'm going to make a single unit.

traumajeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No input on which tank for your sumps... only thought would be how much space bulkheads take up. Once you have one one each tank, and whatever pipe in between... plan on at least 5" between the two. This will add to your needed space quickly!

OP
OP
danielh

danielh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some acrylic yesterday. Ordering the weldon now. I'm going to make something about 20x25x18. Two 10" wide chambers that flow in a U. 10"x25" will be where my tanks drains to, heaters, skimmer and maybe probes. Next will be a refugium 10x10 or so, then where the scrubber drains back in to the sump, then the pump compartment. Open to ideas with that oo.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I thought about building something and decided I'd rather just use two tanks. My local plastics shop didn't have any large 1/4" acrylic for me to play with. A full sheet of 1/4 was 197$ (purchasing a pre-made cube sump is about $350).

Can't wait to see some pictures !

OP
OP
danielh

danielh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 pieces of 1/4" 32x38 for $100. I'll probably only need 2 of them.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back