Doubt about long tentacle anemone

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, yesterday morning my first long tentacle anemon came. After a slow acclimatization, I introduced the anemon in my tank and my clown were to make symbiosis with it.
My question is as follows, during this time the anemon is not moved anything or try to bury the foot or anything. He has a quite open mouth and I don't have Cipro, because in my country it is difficult to get and up to 2 or 3 weeks I will not be able to get it. Any advice to respect?
I should leave it as is at the site that is, do nothing and wait for her to move. (Since I put it in the tank, nothing was moved)
Or should try to make a hole in the sand, where you are currently to see if you bury your foot.
I have tried to leave all the bombs out for a while or in different powers and still do not move.
A greeting and thanks for the help.
1716477951884.jpg
00397-11854701s.png
1716472471385.jpg
1716472471404.jpg
1716472471422.jpg
1716472471437.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feed it.
Let the clowns tend it, they are your best hope.
Feed the clowns extra, you know where they "go"!

It doesn't look bad at all, but I have stock piled medications because when you need them, 2-3 weeks is no good.
MIght want to consider stock piling medications, just in case.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feed it.
Let the clowns tend it, they are your best hope.
Feed the clowns extra, you know where they "go"!

It doesn't look bad at all, but I have stock piled medications because when you need them, 2-3 weeks is no good.
MIght want to consider stock piling medications, just in case.
The problem is that in my country they cannot be achieved without a medical recipe, so I do not have them yet. But well I have achieved them in another way.
What do you see it well? I worry a little that I have my mouth so open and nothing is moved or try to paste or bury your foot.
Thank you very much for your words.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that in my country they cannot be achieved without a medical recipe, so I do not have them yet. But well I have achieved them in another way.
What do you see it well? I worry a little that I have my mouth so open and nothing is moved or try to paste or bury your foot.
Thank you very much for your words.
They often “gape” with their mouths open when they are moved to a new system. They are adjusting to the new environment.

Not attaching is worrisome, but hopefully it will eventually.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They often “gape” with their mouths open when they are moved to a new system. They are adjusting to the new environment.

Not attaching is worrisome, but hopefully it will eventually.
Ok thanks, that reassures me a little. He had thought if his foot is not buried and does not stick on the glass, make a hole in the sand to see if he sticks in the glass.
Do you think would be a good idea? Or better not do anything and not touch it for a few weeks?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen anyone have luck with getting a new anemone to settle down and stick where we wanted them to be. They move around until they stop or until they get knocked out by a powerhead or a pump, hopefully yours will stop before finding a bad place to go.

The clowns will often bully the nem so that it stays where they want it and then they will work together to all be happy. Hopefully they decide to get along in a good spot, but it is always a roll of the dice with these creatures.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen anyone have luck with getting a new anemone to settle down and stick where we wanted them to be. They move around until they stop or until they get knocked out by a powerhead or a pump, hopefully yours will stop before finding a bad place to go.

The clowns will often bully the nem so that it stays where they want it and then they will work together to all be happy. Hopefully they decide to get along in a good spot, but it is always a roll of the dice with these creatures.
Ok, thank you very much for your explanation. I hope then that you start moving on its own, since it is not yet moved a little where I put it in the first place.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, yesterday morning my first long tentacle anemon came. After a slow acclimatization, I introduced the anemon in my tank and my clown were to make symbiosis with it.
My question is as follows, during this time the anemon is not moved anything or try to bury the foot or anything. He has a quite open mouth and I don't have Cipro, because in my country it is difficult to get and up to 2 or 3 weeks I will not be able to get it. Any advice to respect?
I should leave it as is at the site that is, do nothing and wait for her to move. (Since I put it in the tank, nothing was moved)
Or should try to make a hole in the sand, where you are currently to see if you bury your foot.
I have tried to leave all the bombs out for a while or in different powers and still do not move.
A greeting and thanks for the help.
1716477951884.jpg
00397-11854701s.png
1716472471385.jpg
1716472471404.jpg
1716472471422.jpg
1716472471437.jpg
Not sure why Cipro. This specimen is on its way to being stressed. Allow it to settle and tank looks awfully clean. Anemone should not be placed in a tank less than 4 months old due to need for water changes and changes in chemistry. Monitor water regularly to assure there are no major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe verified by using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
Acclimation is very important as well as introduction. Most anemones will move around the tank until they find a suitable spot in the tank If it starts to move , direct your water flow towards the nem. Lighting is also important as they are photosynthetic and absorb light to produce their energy source for food, color and growth.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why Cipro. This specimen is on its way to being stressed. Allow it to settle and tank looks awfully clean. Anemone should not be placed in a tank less than 4 months old due to need for water changes and changes in chemistry. Monitor water regularly to assure there are no major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe verified by using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
Acclimation is very important as well as introduction. Most anemones will move around the tank until they find a suitable spot in the tank If it starts to move , direct your water flow towards the nem. Lighting is also important as they are photosynthetic and absorb light to produce their energy source for food, color and growth.
The Cipro had thought about it because it had read enough about when anemonone is not at all well used. And as I have seen that it has a quite open mouth and I have not seen it move as minimal for that reason I had thought.
The water parameters, if everything is in the right range except the nitrates that are in 15.
I measure the parameters with Hanna. Except magnesium and calcium that I measure it with Salifert.
I respect the tank time if perhaps it is a bit new, it has approximately a little more than 3 and a half months. In lighting I have 2 Hydras 32 HD approximately 60% power.
At the moment I do not move a centimeter from the site to place it.
I do not know if it is normal in this type of anemon or as its movement is, I have a bubble anemon and when it moved for the first time, it was easily moving and stuck instantly to the rock.
Maybe it is normal and I only have to wait a few days to acclimate to start moving or she alone buries her foot.
Thank you very much for your advice

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't speak to all of your questions, however, I will say that digging a hole and placing the nem in the hole (DON'T cover in sand) seems to work well for getting LTA to attach. That is what I have done for all 3 of mine.

could try lowering the light for a bit if you are concerned it is too much. Also, and this is more a question than a suggestion, but could the clown be stressing it out? I have heard that aggressively welcoming clowns can stress new anemones?

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to all of your questions, however, I will say that digging a hole and placing the nem in the hole (DON'T cover in sand) seems to work well for getting LTA to attach. That is what I have done for all 3 of mine.

could try lowering the light for a bit if you are concerned it is too much. Also, and this is more a question than a suggestion, but could the clown be stressing it out? I have heard that aggressively welcoming clowns can stress new anemones?
The good question if the clown could stress it, I really didn't, since it is the first time they do symbiosis, because with my bubble anemon they ignored her completely. They are quite small clowns, approximately about 3 centimeters, I don't know if they could stress it, I am very new in this hobby to draw conclusions to respect.

I have the doubt, do you comment that making a hole in the sand worked well, did you do it next to a rock or only with sand? Thank you very much for your words and apologize for everyone for having so many doubts, really for more that I read and look at videos, more and more doubts arise.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on how new it is, and your pics, I’d do absolutely nothing at all for at least, a few days.
Ok, my main idea was to leave it like that, without touching it or anything. (I have lowered the flow of movement pumps and rise pumps) so that it does not have a current to facilitate its movement. I will leave it where a few days, I will observe how it evolves and if in a few days it does not move or buried its foot. I will make a hole on the earth to see if it sticks on the lower glass.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good question if the clown could stress it, I really didn't, since it is the first time they do symbiosis, because with my bubble anemon they ignored her completely. They are quite small clowns, approximately about 3 centimeters, I don't know if they could stress it, I am very new in this hobby to draw conclusions to respect.

I have the doubt, do you comment that making a hole in the sand worked well, did you do it next to a rock or only with sand? Thank you very much for your words and apologize for everyone for having so many doubts, really for more that I read and look at videos, more and more doubts arise.
Yeah I picked a spot next to the rock work and gentle placed the anemone with it's foot in the whole.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I picked a spot next to the rock work and gentle placed the anemone with it's foot in the whole.
Okay thanks. I'll wait a few days to see if she decides to move herself or bury her foot. And if not, then I will try to place it near a rock, making a hole so that it is easier for you to insert your foot into it.

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates regarding the anemone, I really don't know what the best way to proceed would be. I explain the previous 24 hours as they have been.

During the morning the anemone remained in its place, until midday, it turned upside down as you can see in the photo.
1716564931644.jpg
1716564931626.jpg

Here I was able to record a fast camera video to see if he was trying to position himself properly, but you can already see that he barely had any movement. The video is about 1 hour, summarized in a few seconds

After leaving it for a few hours to see if it would turn around on its own and seeing that it remained the same, I made a hole next to a stone to see if it would fit. In this photo you can see how I placed it, buried part of its foot. But without success because she didn't stick her foot either. She held on a little with the lateral part under the tentacles, but not with her foot.
1716594314090.jpg

Hours later and at night she was face down again, I don't know if I should leave her face down or turn her upside down again. What do you advise me? Greetings and thank you.
In this photo you can see how it is currently
1716594328515.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20240524_144413.mp4
    61.3 MB
OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates regarding the anemone, I really don't know what the best way to proceed would be. I explain the previous 24 hours as they have been.

During the morning the anemone remained in its place, until midday, it turned upside down as you can see in the photo.
1716564931644.jpg
1716564931626.jpg

Here I was able to record a fast camera video to see if he was trying to position himself properly, but you can already see that he barely had any movement. The video is about 1 hour, summarized in a few seconds

After leaving it for a few hours to see if it would turn around on its own and seeing that it remained the same, I made a hole next to a stone to see if it would fit. In this photo you can see how I placed it, buried part of its foot. But without success because she didn't stick her foot either. She held on a little with the lateral part under the tentacles, but not with her foot.
1716594314090.jpg

Hours later and at night she was face down again, I don't know if I should leave her face down or turn her upside down again. What do you advise me? Greetings and thank you.
In this photo you can see how it is currently
1716594328515.jpg
I had an error when writing the question. My question was: should I leave it as it is face down or put it back with its mouth facing up?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had an error when writing the question. My question was: should I leave it as it is face down or put it back with its mouth facing up?
I would definitly flip it over.

Also, did you try turning your flow down/off when you placed the nem in the hole? It may or may not help, but I would flip it over, put it back in the hole, and turn off the flow for a few hours (leave the filtration on if possible but turn off the powerheads).

OP
OP
F

Froam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitly flip it over.

Also, did you try turning your flow down/off when you placed the nem in the hole? It may or may not help, but I would flip it over, put it back in the hole, and turn off the flow for a few hours (leave the filtration on if possible but turn off the powerheads).
Yes, I tried turning off the flow for 2 hours and also lowering the intensity, but it turned upside down again.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the anemone on inside and put a concave piece of rock across its body and foot. It most likely will attach to the rock and then dig down to the sand.
I have a lot of success for sand dwelling anemone with this method.
It really needs some leverage to dig into the sand and it will be much easier for the anemone to use the rock as leverage to dig.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back