Downsides of going with a 75g tank?

FTW-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to upgrade from a 24g AIO to a larger reef tank, and considering the size tank that I will be happy with long-term. The main downside I see is only being able to have 1 tang (and having to downsize the tang when it outgrows the swimming space in a 75g).

Since there is a huge price jump from 75g to 125g, is there anyone that has stuck with (and enjoyed the success of) a 75g option for the long-term? If so, would love to learn from your thoughts and experience.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to upgrade from a 24g AIO to a larger reef tank, and considering the size tank that I will be happy with long-term. The main downside I see is only being able to have 1 tang (and having to downsize the tang when it outgrows the swimming space in a 75g).

Since there is a huge price jump from 75g to 125g, is there anyone that has stuck with (and enjoyed the success of) a 75g option for the long-term? If so, would love to learn from your thoughts and experience.
I love my 4’ tank. I think a 6’ would be nice however 4’ is enough room for the fish I like. I personally prefer small fish over large fish (I started the 4’ tank liking large fish over small fish but it’s recently taken a chance and I’d rather have a 3’-4’ tank with just small fish and then a few tilefish/harder fish to own).

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i find bigger tanks to have more downsides than smaller tanks. equipment for bigger tanks is higher in price. bigger tanks although have more room, also take up a lot of room. maintenance is more tedious with a larger tank. the list goes on..

my ideal tank size would be 90G, but i cannot find well kept tanks/stands near my area and do not have the means of going out of state for one or building my own. i have settled for a 75G since they're easier to find, and is very similar in size to a 90G(just 4 inches taller than a 75G).

edit: build thread coming soon!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there are 3 options with 4’ tanks: 75, 90 and 120 gallon. The 120 gallon is nice because it has a 24” depth which gives more dimension to your aquascape. But if you are price constrained, then that is off.

As for tangs, even the smallest tangs will use all of the space of even the largest tank. The smaller zebrasoma tangs should be OK in a 4’ tank and almost any of the Ctenochaetus tangs would work in 4’.

2ClownGal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everyone has thier own opinion. After researching and watching TONS of videos we just bought a 150g after having a 32g aio biocube. So many said they regretted going to 75 or 90. At least 125 is what most recommended. We went with this tank because of our goals and placement. Got lucky and the tank and stand was on the on sale. We are going in knowing it will be a long haul build! In the end you need to do what makes you happy what fits your budget and your goals.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’d go for a 4’ 120, you’ll get the better depth. And it will bring out the Top dwellers from the Bottom dwellers, in my tank it’s an 18” deep (90?) and it looks like there’s no such thing as a bottom dweller or top dweller.

2ClownGal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’d go for a 4’ 120, you’ll get the better depth. And it will bring out the Top dwellers from the Bottom dwellers, in my tank it’s an 18” deep (90?) and it looks like there’s no such thing as a bottom dweller or top dweller.
This is also the reason we went 150 vs 125. The height. Some say don't go more than 24in high. The 150 is 30. I'm short so 6 inches wasn't a big deal and will give a nice separation of fish. Either way I need a stool and longer cleaning tools.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old tank was 300 and I’m building a new one in its place and tried to go as small as possible. Cleaning, coral placement, and water changes is so much easier! :D

The new tank is a 260. Lol.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there are 3 options with 4’ tanks: 75, 90 and 120 gallon. The 120 gallon is nice because it has a 24” depth which gives more dimension to your aquascape. But if you are price constrained, then that is off.

As for tangs, even the smallest tangs will use all of the space of even the largest tank. The smaller zebrasoma tangs should be OK in a 4’ tank and almost any of the Ctenochaetus tangs would work in 4’.
80 gallon lagoon is also a 4’x2’ footprint. See my build thread for pics/videos!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 2 cents. Because reef systems and the all the fish and corals are long term and will outlive cats and dogs if you're wanting a certain fish then you should get a tank that's appropriate for them. Planning on rehoming is fine but you'll likely have a lot of growth by then and it could be pretty disruptive trying to catch an established tang in a mature reef system. If your stuck on a certain size tank because of budget constrants then plan on fish appropriate for that size tank.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The depth of the tank makes aquascaping trickier on a 75, other than that I love it. I think it is a much bigger jump to really have a tank worthy of larger/multiple tangs. I like Ctenochaetus tangs anyway, they do so much work, and one is OK in 4-5 foot tanks.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get the 75 or 125g I would get either a 120g or a 180g. The depth and height of 75 and 125 make it a challenge to aquascape and fit all the corals you will want.

If cost is a worry, watch the classifieds for craigslist, Facebook, and your local reef club. They show up reasonably often and can be had for very often less than $400 with a stand and canopy.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't get the 75 or 125g I would get either a 120g or a 180g. The depth and height of 75 and 125 make it a challenge to aquascape and fit all the corals you will want.

If cost is a worry, watch the classifieds for craigslist, Facebook, and your local reef club. They show up reasonably often and can be had for very often less than $400 with a stand and canopy.
I got my oceanic 120 with everything I needed for a reef for less then that.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back