Dr G's & Red Bugs

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first picture you can see two of them on top of each other, prob getting freaky, and the next picture one ran to the top of the Coralite. So you can see that their shapes are like tiny mites and not flat works, and they stutter quick so I am one thousand percent sure they aren’t worms, and not the black bugs which are larger or the white bugs.

F626B6F7-9283-473F-9995-7A8DF99B2AEC.jpeg FBA930C1-81BA-4D14-AE18-DB24C64C4B68.jpeg

I never had them but I did it as precautionary in my qt tank and did 30 ml per the 40 gallons of water and everything was fine. I had sps in there and I actually saw better polpy extention. Left it in there for 24 hours and did water change. I did it 2 times. Hope this helps.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had them but I did it as precautionary in my qt tank and did 30 ml per the 40 gallons of water and everything was fine. I had sps in there and I actually saw better polpy extention. Left it in there for 24 hours and did water change. I did it 2 times. Hope this helps.
How long after did you repeat the 2nd time , and what was killed after the dip was done ?

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after did you repeat the 2nd time , and what was killed after the dip was done ?
I waited a week. Corals were fine. It will kill red bugs and black bugs with strong enough dose I am pretty sure. Like I said I did not have them but from what I read from others post it will knock them out. You might get more algae due to die off of bugs

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed 21ml on my 75 gallon tank wish me luck, i removed the carbon and the top of my skimmer so it flows back into the sump. I will update tomorrow. Quick question though did ya see any decrease in alk consumption by adding the treatment? So i can keep an eye on the doser.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added it just 2 hours ago and i already see some bristleworms floating in the water i hope this doesnt crash my tank with a big die off lol some of my hermit crabs have stopped moving and i see some of the tiny cerith snails fall of the glass. Everything else seems normal though. One of my turbo snails has slowed down a bit too aswell buf i heard this doesnt affect snails right?

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are your experience using this with tridacna clams?! Also... I'm battling both white bugs and AEFW, so I'm considering doin the 1ml/gallon dosage.. Can anyone testify to it's effect on them?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are your experience using this with tridacna clams?! Also... I'm battling both white bugs and AEFW, so I'm considering doin the 1ml/gallon dosage.. Can anyone testify to it's effect on them?
My recommendation is to pull out some white bugs and AEFW and test the dosage required to kill them since it varies from creature to creature. This way to you don't have to guess the needed dosage.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. G's aka. Milbemycin Oxime does not work on AEFW just crustaceans like Red and White Bugs (even shrimp and hermit crabs). The recommended dose for White Bugs is 2mL per gallon of tank water.

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. G's aka. Milbemycin Oxime does not work on AEFW just crustaceans like Red and White Bugs (even shrimp and hermit crabs). The recommended dose for White Bugs is 2mL per gallon of tank water.
2ml per gallon seems like a lot. Would you mind sharing some more info on how that affects the system, clams, urchins etc? Have you battled white bugs yourself? Are they a lot hardier than red bugs? Thanks.

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my own experiment with Dr. G's last night and the results came in this morning. NO WHITE BUGS in sight. What a relief. I dosed 1 ml/Gallon. Two hours in still bugs crawling around. 6 hours no change bugs everywhere. I was starting to doubt that it had any effect. I did see amphipods die off tho. This morning I couldn't see any bugs on my corals.

I didn't remove any of my other inverts as I didn't have tank for them. My two Maxima clams seem completely unaffected. The same with my large cleaner shrimp and my harlequin shrimp. Sea urchins are all fine. feather dusters are fine. All Snails are fine. I had a couple of trapezia crabs living in my Pocillopora and one of them is out in the open and seems to be stunned but still alive, the other is still in his coral and moving around seemingly unaffected. My one red legged hermit that I never see is out in the open stunned. Hopefully they'll survive, but if not a small price to pay for riddance of this pest. I will update in case they come back again. I might do another treatment in a week or two just to be sure.

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my own experiment with Dr. G's last night and the results came in this morning. NO WHITE BUGS in sight. What a relief. I dosed 1 ml/Gallon. Two hours in still bugs crawling around. 6 hours no change bugs everywhere. I was starting to doubt that it had any effect. I did see amphipods die off tho. This morning I couldn't see any bugs on my corals.

I didn't remove any of my other inverts as I didn't have tank for them. My two Maxima clams seem completely unaffected. The same with my large cleaner shrimp and my harlequin shrimp. Sea urchins are all fine. feather dusters are fine. All Snails are fine. I had a couple of trapezia crabs living in my Pocillopora and one of them is out in the open and seems to be stunned but still alive, the other is still in his coral and moving around seemingly unaffected. My one red legged hermit that I never see is out in the open stunned. Hopefully they'll survive, but if not a small price to pay for riddance of this pest. I will update in case they come back again. I might do another treatment in a week or two just to be sure.
How's everything looking?

ablemad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's everything looking?
A couple of days after the treatment I noticed white bugs on the acro that I suspect brought them into my system in the first place, and which was also he most infested one. I took that out and made a dip in a bag and floated that acro in it for about 6 hours. For the past week there's been no signs of bugs anywhere. Still inspecting my corals every day to make sure.

Asmolupers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added it just 2 hours ago and i already see some bristleworms floating in the water i hope this doesnt crash my tank with a big die off lol some of my hermit crabs have stopped moving and i see some of the tiny cerith snails fall of the glass. Everything else seems normal though. One of my turbo snails has slowed down a bit too aswell buf i heard this doesnt affect snails right?

How did the treatment work out?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty good mix as well it is an SPS dom tank I dont know all the names A huge colony of cali tort, some green slimer, red planet, JKR white rose, rainbow milli, some monti's etc..... here is a pic
001.jpg
WOW! You have one attached to the glass. How does your tank look today? Four years later. And no red bugs, nice.

Asmolupers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked beautifully only lost two sps but i think it was due to more then more issue. Havent seen anything since. Copepods made a comeback so thats good.

How much did you add and how much water volume in your system? I added about 12mL to around 70 gallons water volume yesterday at 2pm. This morning at 9am there are still a lot of red bugs and they seem fine.

Asmolupers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked beautifully only lost two sps but i think it was due to more then more issue. Havent seen anything since. Copepods made a comeback so thats good.

Couldn’t edit my last post. I added 21mL not 12 and I found the details to your treatment on another thread.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t edit my last post. I added 21mL not 12 and I found the details to your treatment on another thread.
I actually ended up adding 7ml more ( one more capful) to my 75 gallon since i believe i was dealing with something tougher then red bugs. In 3 days it was all gone.

Asmolupers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up, I dosed 21mL Dr G’s a day for two days in what I thought was 70 gallons water volume. Red bugs didn’t die. The third day I dosed about 45mL and within 6 hours I couldn’t find any bugs and there were a lot. 16 hours later, never saw any dead bristle worms and all hermits (blue and red legs) are still alive. I still believe I have 70 gallons water volume but I’ll have to verify that I guess.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back