Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride: 4 drops per gallon is wrong

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took 10 gallons of freshly mixed RO/DI + 35ppt salt, heated to 78 degrees, with a powerhead going at about 200gph. I dosed 40 drops, which the label on Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride directs (4 drops per gallon), and my Ammonia was off the charts on two separate tests (Salifert, Red Sea, all brand new test kits). I even made sure they were right by using the test fluid. Way more than 2ppm.

I added in 4 oz. of Dr. Tim's One and Only. 3 weeks later, the ppm is still off the charts (marinepure block + ~12 lbs of live rock).

Almost at the same time, I had another tub with exactly the same amount of water (the tubs are the same size) and 10 gallons of water added. I decided I probably overdosed the first time by mistake, and so I'm prepared to move all the rock to the new tub to cycle in new water. Before moving all the rock etc., I decided to test this pure newly mixed water, and had 0 ammonia.

I then added only 10 drops of Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride and waited 24 hours, and when I checked the ammonia, it was 2ppm. This is with a powerhead, did not add rock or anything. So the first batch of water, I probably overdosed 4x the amount, even though that is what the label said.

So the label is totally wrong. The directions are completely messed up. I know dr. tim's changed the ammonium chloride recipe from 1 drop to 4 drops per gallon, but I'm pretty sure they screwed up at least this one bottle.

I don't know, maybe both my test kits are exactly wrong the same way. Maybe a lot of things could have made it wrong. Maybe my "droplet" sizes are 4x the size because I squeeze weird?

So here's a warning to everyone using Ammonium Chloride to do a fishless cycle, or using it at all. The label for 4 drops per gallon can be wrong. Stick with 1 drop per gallon to start.

RikardJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just experienced the same, my ammonia is off the charts with the recommended dosing.

What's the recommended path forward? 75%water change or just let the bacteria munch a little longer?

RikardJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I prefer to look forward so my main focus right now is to get the concentration below 5 mg/L as recommended by Dr. Tims

With that said, due to the magnitude I'm off, I assume the actual bottle of NH4Cl to be the culprit. I can do 1 drop in 1 litre of RODI-water tonight and it should show 2 mg/L, whereas I expect it will max out again.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m new so I’m no expert but thought the same. I wondered if they’re doing drops from a small pipet because when I did 4 drops from my dropper it was sky high as well. I used a 1 ml syringe the next time and just went by the ml rather than drops and it worked out much better for me.

RikardJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 1 drop in 1 L of rodi water, no salt, and the reading was higher than 6.1 mg/L which is the max on my test kit

I conclude that the concentration of nh4cl is not corresponding to the recommended dose on the label. 1 drop per gallon would probably have been better

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend just using 1 drop per gallon, instead of 4. See where your ammonia ppm is after a few hours. That'll tell you what's up.

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. 4 drops appears be incorrect as I’m currently way over 2ppm.

Centurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
four drops per gallon was way off for me as well a few months ago when I set up a new tank. I happily just went with the dosage listed and it stalled my cycle for two weeks.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you check the directions on the bottle.

NOTE: As of November 1, 2016 we changed the concentration of the ammonium chloride solution so it now takes 4 drops per gallon. The previous version called for 1 drop per gallon. Please see the label on your bottle to determine how much to use. If the bottle say use 1 drop use 1 drop if the bottle says use 4 drops use 4 drops

RikardJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Make sure you check the directions on the bottle.

NOTE: As of November 1, 2016 we changed the concentration of the ammonium chloride solution so it now takes 4 drops per gallon. The previous version called for 1 drop per gallon. Please see the label on your bottle to determine how much to use. If the bottle say use 1 drop use 1 drop if the bottle says use 4 drops use 4 drops

Unfortunately the label is wrong. Mine clearly specifies 4 drops per gallon, which was too much

RikardJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought online this week, there is no date anywhere on the bottle

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought online this week, there is no date anywhere on the bottle

I wonder if there is something with older bottles at online places getting swapped with new labels. It wouldn't be hard to do. Maybe contact Dr. Tims.

Last edited:

RikardJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what have happened, it could be a lot of things.

The most important right now is probably to warn future users that they should start with 1 drop per gallon and verify a concentration significant below 2 ppm, before following the label and add 4 drops per gallon.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a shrimp in there, Ammonia hasn't gone up too much. I do have some live rock and live sand, so maybe didn't go through a major cycle. Ordered the ammonia chloride just to make sure. I can start with 1 drop per gallon. I have about 138 gallons of water in there, that's a lot of drops!

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what have happened, it could be a lot of things.

The most important right now is probably to warn future users that they should start with 1 drop per gallon and verify a concentration significant below 2 ppm, before following the label and add 4 drops per gallon.
How long do I wait before I test?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back