Dragon Eel Longterm Tankmate Success?

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on a large 340+ gallon aggressive/big fish tank this year. Hopefully this will be the year it happens and Im about ready to start getting bids on the project!

I really would like to get a pair of Japanese Dragon Eels and have triggers, puffers, Groupers and a place to rehome my Emperor and Queen Angelfish when the time comes.

Question for all you Dragon Eel Owners is:

What type of fish have you had success with living with your Dragon Eel?

Some say they look meaner than their temperament. Others say they will eventually eat all other tankmates.

What is your experience with them?
What type fish and how long have they lived together or how long until they were eaten?
Whats size dt were they in?

It would be a shame to house them alone in such a big tank! But even worse to finally get a pair and have them eat all their tankmates!

Bob Severance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a stock list! Did he ever try to go for the trigger or puffer? Did the other eels ever try?

Thanks! None of the fish went for the puffer except the Undulating Trigger, and none went after the Trigger. Actually the Trigger is by far the most aggressive. These fish could literally each tear him apart but don't bother him at all. I've actually thought of pulling him as he's nibbled on the tail of Viper Eel (~22") and Puffer (measured at over 12" last night). Interestingly, the Dragon Eel (~24") is the least aggressive in the tank. I'm actually having trouble with him eating. He didn't eat at the fish store either (total 3 months now) bur seems very healthy. I'm planning to pull and put everyone else into my new 72 Bowfront Build. Then I'll add live damsels/mollies to entice him to eat which I'm currently fattening up in holding cells on my other tank. Any suggestions to entice eating would be helpful. I've tried skewers which worked for ribbon eels but he doesn't show any interest. He's ignored Octopus, Shrimp, Salmon, showed a little interest in clams but not too much (more a reaction to the smell entering the tank), and does seem hungry (reacting to the clam smell somewhat until others charge in). I'm guessing I need him alone to feel more confident and then he'll eat, likely live fish at night which would be more typical of a natural scenario.

Last edited:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small clown trigger kill a large Emperor Angel and nipped all the fins of a large lionfish.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back