dragon soul/general torch coral question

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, as of saturday, i decided to buy a dragon soul torch coral. i apologize in advance, but i dont know names for parts of coral, but i found that the coral does not have flesh evenly down the stalk. it seems that there is a fair amount of flesh that comes down, but one side of it , the flesh is very close to/right at the end of the bone. the internal bony structure of the mouth is not viewable, but i fear in the near future that it might, if it recedes any further. it could be the matter of simply having a change in salinity or some other slight parameter swing to push it over the edge to where the flesh has receded into the mouth, and i want to get everyones take on this.

it is in a good spot right now, and i have tweaked everything to ensure that the flow is as good as i can possibly get it without eliminating flow altogether. right now, it is not receiving from one side only. its basically at a point where all tentacles are outward in their own directions and swaying slightly in the current. i did this to avoid any possible big pushes or pulls from the current on the tentacles pulling on the flesh too much.
with as much as this coral runs, i obviously dont want to lose it. what kind of things can be done, to help make sure that it grows flesh back down the stalk?

should i even be worried about it? ive only had one other LPS like this (hammer) and its doing great. all of those heads have full flesh all the way around each head, but that was a considerably cheaper coral, with less to lose if it did die.

pic for reference
20220214_221315.jpg

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I would leave it be. Sounds like you know your tank and its inhabitants and what your doing. Treat it similar to the hammer imo.
D
the hammer is in my smaller tank, and was a 4 headed frag when i got it, so i lucked out on placement with it. i really only had one spot to put it, which happened to be a prime spot. ive had it for under a year. 4 heads is now 8. however, its in a different tank, and i just havent moved it over yet. im mostly concerned about it growing back, or perhaps im just worrying too much. i wish i would have taken a look at it before i walked out of the shop with it.

i dont like walking on eggshells where it takes the smallest instance of salinity being wrong or something, to aggravate it, where the little flesh that is on the left side, is no longer there, ya know.

BPCGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks mostly fine. My one piece of advice would be to shade the part where the tissue is receded. You want to avoid algae growth on that spot to give the flesh a chance to reclaim it.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want the flesh coming down around all sides of the skeleton, but it is not uncommon to see no flesh down the sides on recently imported torches it seems so I would not be overly concerned if it is otherwise healthy.

As for the flow what you are describing sounds like not nearly enough flow to me. I would personally always give a torch considerably more flow than that. Of course you dont want linear flow blowing hard from only one direction, but torches do like moderately high random flow.... much higher than you would have on something like a frogspawn.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, as of saturday, i decided to buy a dragon soul torch coral. i apologize in advance, but i dont know names for parts of coral, but i found that the coral does not have flesh evenly down the stalk. it seems that there is a fair amount of flesh that comes down, but one side of it , the flesh is very close to/right at the end of the bone. the internal bony structure of the mouth is not viewable, but i fear in the near future that it might, if it recedes any further. it could be the matter of simply having a change in salinity or some other slight parameter swing to push it over the edge to where the flesh has receded into the mouth, and i want to get everyones take on this.

it is in a good spot right now, and i have tweaked everything to ensure that the flow is as good as i can possibly get it without eliminating flow altogether. right now, it is not receiving from one side only. its basically at a point where all tentacles are outward in their own directions and swaying slightly in the current. i did this to avoid any possible big pushes or pulls from the current on the tentacles pulling on the flesh too much.
with as much as this coral runs, i obviously dont want to lose it. what kind of things can be done, to help make sure that it grows flesh back down the stalk?

should i even be worried about it? ive only had one other LPS like this (hammer) and its doing great. all of those heads have full flesh all the way around each head, but that was a considerably cheaper coral, with less to lose if it did die.

pic for reference
20220214_221315.jpg
Same as a hammer.
Keep tank stable if should heal up. I've never seen them grow the flesh back but as it grows the flesh should get longer.
Don't shade it. It needs light.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want the flesh coming down around all sides of the skeleton, but it is not uncommon to see no flesh down the sides on recently imported torches it seems so I would not be overly concerned if it is otherwise healthy.

As for the flow what you are describing sounds like not nearly enough flow to me. I would personally always give a torch considerably more flow than that. Of course you dont want linear flow blowing hard from only one direction, but torches do like moderately high random flow.... much higher than you would have on something like a frogspawn.
let me try to attach a vid

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since video not working, i took a few pictures in succession of each other. doesnt give a great perception of it, but since all are within a half second of each other, you can get an idea of how much it flows. it doesnt sit still. through the day, it gently dances back and forth, with the most strain that it will get, is in the first picture.

20220222_124113.jpg

20220222_124114.jpg
20220222_124115.jpg
20220222_124117.jpg
20220222_124118.jpg
20220222_124119.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ignore the dirty glass and poor lighting i made this video a few days ago without an intention to post publicly or would have cleaned up a few things lol, but it gives a good example of how i personally like my flow for torches. Have some hammers and frogspawn in there also but you can see they are all places in areas with less flow than the torches get.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ignore the dirty glass and poor lighting i made this video a few days ago without an intention to post publicly or would have cleaned up a few things lol, but it gives a good example of how i personally like my flow for torches. Have some hammers and frogspawn in there also but you can see they are all places in areas with less flow than the torches get.

the video is basically what mine gets, but not so intense. it sways just as yours do, but it doesnt get hit nearly as hard with the water flow to get that same movement.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i threw up the video on youtube, so that you can get an idea. i do need to figure something out with my water flow. its 2 wavemakers, so i need to figure out a better, or more optimal setup so that i can utilize all areas of the tank. there is a fairly large section that has a dead spot, that i would like to use at some point

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i threw up the video on youtube, so that you can get an idea. i do need to figure something out with my water flow. its 2 wavemakers, so i need to figure out a better, or more optimal setup so that i can utilize all areas of the tank. there is a fairly large section that has a dead spot, that i would like to use at some point

Ya I definitely have some stronger currents hitting mine, but not saying your flow wont work. You got the back and forth swaying movement which is think is the most important. I would leave it like that and see how it does.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back