Drain is so loud! Help?

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this just a durso thing or am I missing something? Holy crap it's loud!

Return pump is an eheim 1250. Tank is 34 gallons.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you DIY that sump? It doesnt look right.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like all the water is just flowing over the baffles into the next chamber.

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm looks pretty similar to the one I had years ago. I know it's not super fancy, but should get the job done

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, but it will be loud, which is the issue, right?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pump too strong? I can’t see t he video from iPhone. Normally to quiet a durso you just slow down the flow till the gurgling stops and the trickling starts

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pump too strong? I can’t see t he video from iPhone. Normally to quiet a durso you just slow down the flow till the gurgling stops and the trickling starts
Hmmm didnt think about that. The pump I have is 320 gph. Is that too much? It doesn't seem to be adjustable though. Ball valve?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm didnt think about that. The pump I have is 320 gph. Is that too much? It doesn't seem to be adjustable though. Ball valve?
Ball valve would be great to slow it down and give you some adjustment power

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally saw the video.
Get a ball valve and slow it down.
You really dont need more than 2x tank volume through your sump.
I run 1-150 through my 120.
A ball valve is needed to slow the flow to 70ish gph max, imo.
A smaller pump wont have enough head pressure to pump the water that high.
The airline on the top should only be a few inches and not go down towards the floor. If there is a blockage the water will flow through that tube.

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally saw the video.
Get a ball valve and slow it down.
You really dont need more than 2x tank volume through your sump.
I run 1-150 through my 120.
A ball valve is needed to slow the flow to 70ish gph max, imo.
A smaller pump wont have enough head pressure to pump the water that high.
The airline on the top should only be a few inches and not go down towards the floor. If there is a blockage the water will flow through that tube.
Appreciate all the help.
Think I'm going to pick up a new pump that's adjustable. This eheim is vibrating quite a bit too. Will also snag a ball valve to further adjust. Hopefully that will get this sorted!

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A ball valve to adjust the drain flow. You could also use a filter sock to reduce the bubbles that come from the drain.

When I used a durso drain, I would always oversize the inlet. If I was running a 1 inch drain into the sump, I used a 1.5 inch durso up top. That seemed to help.

This drain will always make some noise because it will never stay at a full siphon.

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ball valve to adjust the drain flow. You could also use a filter sock to reduce the bubbles that come from the drain.

When I used a durso drain, I would always oversize the inlet. If I was running a 1 inch drain into the sump, I used a 1.5 inch durso up top. That seemed to help.

This drain will always make some noise because it will never stay at a full siphon.
I've read a valve on the drain could be bad since I don't have an emergency drain. Not actually a problem?

I'm okay with some noise but wow, the neverending toilet flush is a bit much lol.

Hopefully slowing the flow gets it to an acceptable level. If not, I'll try adjusting the drain bits

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a valve on the drain could be bad since I don't have an emergency drain. Not actually a problem?

I'm okay with some noise but wow, the neverending toilet flush is a bit much lol.

Hopefully slowing the flow gets it to an acceptable level. If not, I'll try adjusting the drain bits
Yes the ball valve will give the drain a smaller diameter, making things like snails a risk for clogging.
In my experience the fix is easy and the problem presents itself without destruction or leaks.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That could be an issue and there have been horror stories about the drain being blocked but I've never had that problem.

I believe the ball valve will definitely help with the noise. I only suggested it be put on the drain because the back pressure for some A/C pumps is not good for the motor.

If you really wanted to, you can switch the setup to be a Herbie style drain. You would just have to plumb the return to go up and over the top of your tank. The Herbie drain is completely silent both up top and down below.

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be an issue and there have been horror stories about the drain being blocked but I've never had that problem.

I believe the ball valve will definitely help with the noise. I only suggested it be put on the drain because the back pressure for some A/C pumps is not good for the motor.

If you really wanted to, you can switch the setup to be a Herbie style drain. You would just have to plumb the return to go up and over the top of your tank. The Herbie drain is completely silent both up top and down below.
I think if the ball valve and adjustable pump don't work, I'll be considering switching to the herbie.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back