Drill holes or get hang on overflow?

worm64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 75 gallon tank that I want to make a saltwater tank. However their is no overflow or any holes to put an external overflow. Should I consider drilling holes (my luck it will shatter) or get a hang-on overflow which I have yet to hear good things about

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on overflow get a bad rep because they used to be bad. Get a Life Reef overflow box, I have two running for over a year without issue and I do not worry about them at all.

I also have drilled tanks, drilled tanks are much better haha :) But I understand the not wanting to drill, everyone says its easy but I found it stressful.

Charles2465

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do drill it make sure it's not tempered glass as I have been told will shatter to pieces if you drill into it.

Here is a link on how to identify tempered glass

nathanieltyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choose a good hang-on overflow, it shouldn't be a problem, but to be safe, I'd recommend drilling. if you've worked with glass bfore, it should be fairly simple.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God he made it so easy, it took me 8 hrs to dril 3 holes and I vowed to never do it again lol

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a sticker on the bottom of your tank that said do not drill i would go with overflow. Had to replace the glass in my 65 tall ,not a good day.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with HOB over flows. Even built them myself. Their Achilles heel is the siphon required from your tank to the over flow. If it fills full of air you are screwed unless you have an over flow shut off float or have your return pump raised so that it sucks air before totally emptying your sump on your carpet.

The reality is your transfer siphon isn't going to just fill with air. As long as the flow is strong enough air bubbles won't accumulate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back