Drilled my tank and it chipped... Still usable?

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to upgrade to a 75G and haven't seen any good options locally so I picked up an Aqueon and decided to drill it myself. Yesterday I finally got around to doing the drilling. Had a hose on it the whole time, put 0 pressure and each of the 4 holes turned out slightly chipped on both the inside and outside of the tank:

IMG_0545.JPG

No fracturing that I can see, just the chipping. Not sure what else I could have done. My driveway has a slight slope so I'm guessing I wasn't quite at the correct angle or something.

Is this safe to use as long as the gasket from the bulkhead covers the chipping fully on the inside?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, can you take a more straight on pic ?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm that looks bad. Even the inside of the hole is jagged. I've only drill one tank and it was nice and smooth so I suspect your bit is the cause. Even my nice smooth holes I had a little trouble sealing with the bulk heads so I would be hesitant to use this tank. If you decide to use it I would probably use some silicone sealer between the gasket and glass to help fill in the chips. I know people say no sealer on bulkheads but I have used it in the past on pesky bulkheads that wanted to seep.

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm that looks bad. Even the inside of the hole is jagged. I've only drill one tank and it was nice and smooth so I suspect your bit is the cause. Even my nice smooth holes I had a little trouble sealing with the bulk heads so I would be hesitant to use this tank. If you decide to use it I would probably use some silicone sealer between the gasket and glass to help fill in the chips. I know people say no sealer on bulkheads but I have used it in the past on pesky bulkheads that wanted to seep.
The inside of the holes are incredibly smooth, no chips or tears or jaggedness whatsoever. Silicone does seem like the simple solution IF there are leaks which I don't think there would be. My only concern is in these causing cracks down the road even though there aren't any now.

It's fine. Next time drill both sides and don't use so much pressure.

Not sure what you mean by drill both sides but as far as pressure, I literally don't think I could have applied less pressure. All I did was squeeze the trigger and let the drill pull itself down as it went.

hi, can you take a more straight on pic ?

My initial pics didn't really capture the chipping/tearing except at this angle so I deleted them but I can try again from that angle after work.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tape a white piece of paper over opposite side of hole when taking pics,
looking for runs,hairline cracks , if all clammed should be good...;)

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are good to go, if your gasket had larger outside "part" and also your bulkhead....

Enough rubber and plastic "meat" in outside diameter and you can make holes with hammer ;)

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be good- just a heads up that Aqueon doesn’t guarantee that their back or side panels aren’t tempered. (They use “what is available”)

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others say it will be good. Just make sure the gasket covers the whole area. A slight coat of silicone will help but don’t over tight or the gasket will squeeze out.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others say it will be good. Just make sure the gasket covers the whole area. A slight coat of silicone will help but don’t over tight or the gasket will squeeze out.
I have done this with all my systems for over 30 years and never had a leaker.
I cover the rubber gasket with a thin layer of silicone and place the bulkhead in place and tighten with only a small turn. You want the silicone to be visible around the gasket. Let sit for 24hrs and your good to go. Hand tighten the nut and your good. A small amonut of silicone around the edge of the gasket means its sealed.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can make it work.

Why not fill the tank with RO/DI and fully run it for a few days. If you are good then, salt water can only help (i.e., a little salt-creep is your friend).

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By both sides I meant drill the inside and outside partially before drilling all the way through. It's like scoring plywood with utility knife before cutting with a circular saw to reduce chipping.

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can make it work.

Why not fill the tank with RO/DI and fully run it for a few days. If you are good then, salt water can only help (i.e., a little salt-creep is your friend).

I plan to water test it as described, but still collecting all of the plumbing pieces. Figured I'd get some feedback in case there was something particular to do before hand since I'm still waiting out parts.

I have done this with all my systems for over 30 years and never had a leaker.
I cover the rubber gasket with a thin layer of silicone and place the bulkhead in place and tighten with only a small turn. You want the silicone to be visible around the gasket. Let sit for 24hrs and your good to go. Hand tighten the nut and your good. A small amonut of silicone around the edge of the gasket means its sealed.

I think I'll go this route. I planned to silicone the PVC threads anyways so I'll just add some to this step, too.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to water test it as described, but still collecting all of the plumbing pieces. Figured I'd get some feedback in case there was something particular to do before hand since I'm still waiting out parts.

I think I'll go this route. I planned to silicone the PVC threads anyways so I'll just add some to this step, too.
No need to silicone the threads. I never have.
Use teflon tape instead on pipe fittings.
Bulkhead fittings require no teflon tape/silicone ever.

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to silicone the threads. I never have.
Use teflon tape instead on pipe fittings.
Bulkhead fittings require no teflon tape/silicone ever.
I won't silicone the bulkhead threads, but the threads of any other threaded connections in the plumbing where water goes through the connection will be. People recommend teflon all the time but from what I've seen, it is not meant for PVC. It's meant for metal fittings. Silicone is an easy aquarium safe alternative sealant choice for the threads.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't silicone the bulkhead threads, but the threads of any other threaded connections in the plumbing where water goes through the connection will be. People recommend teflon all the time but from what I've seen, it is not meant for PVC. It's meant for metal fittings. Silicone is an easy aquarium safe alternative sealant choice for the threads.
T.tape is used on plumbing pvc all the time and sprinkles fittings. Its used on both metal and pvc alike

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back