Drilled vs undrilled tanks - catastrophic failure

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a 75 Aqueon tank - will drill the side ( side not tempered front and back are tempered).

Does anybody know what the catastrophic failure rate is for drilled vs nondrilled. I'm guessing probably not but it's worth an ask. Aqueon said - drill the tank at your own risk and it voids the warranty. Are the new big-box-store tanks cutting corners with thinner glass -so thin -that it's a structural danger to drill an overflow?

Experienced input appreciated.

Thanks

Aqueon :

Thanks for reaching out. Any panel of any tank has the potential of being tempered due to manufacturing flexibility and glass supply. We recommend you checking the panel with a polarized lens to see if it's tempered or not.
Please be advised that any modifications or alterations done to the tank itself will void the warranty.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With thin glass, like on 10 gallon tank, ~ 1/8", I have about an 80% success rate. Thicker I have a 100% success rate. If it's tempered you'll find out really quick as the whole panel shatters. If this is the first time drilling a hole you can make a template with a piece of plywood. You can use the same diamond bit to drill a hole in hte plywood. Gently clamp or use weights to hold the plywood template in place while you drill the hole. Be sure to run water on it or make a dam with putty an use cutting fluid.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a 75 Aqueon tank - will drill the side ( side not tempered front and back are tempered).

Does anybody know what the catastrophic failure rate is for drilled vs nondrilled. I'm guessing probably not but it's worth an ask. Aqueon said - drill the tank at your own risk and it voids the warranty. Are the new big-box-store tanks cutting corners with thinner glass -so thin -that it's a structural danger to drill an overflow?

Experienced input appreciated.

Thanks

Aqueon :

Thanks for reaching out. Any panel of any tank has the potential of being tempered due to manufacturing flexibility and glass supply. We recommend you checking the panel with a polarized lens to see if it's tempered or not.
Please be advised that any modifications or alterations done to the tank itself will void the warranty.
Is this your first hole Id recommend trying it first on an old tank. It's easy enough but it can also be tricky drilling a good hole without chipping. Thinner glass is more difficult but nothing is impossible, but chips can cause stress that could hold for years then give out, think it was a full payne of glass and a frame holding the weight of water back as it was designed, now you put a hole in it its going to be weaker and hold less weight if there's stress spots or a number of things could happen to cause the glass to give out, usually factory drilled holes are using thicker glass to account for this on a non drilled tank they can make it thinner because it has a frame holding it together.

Nowadays I would buy a predrilled tank and bypass the risks and voiding warranties. There's tons of 2nd hand options out there as well.

I have also drilled a few test holes on 40g breeders a 20g aqueon and a 55 gallon aqueon with no issues so it's hard to say, just weigh all your options and think about the process and you systems future.

Good luck:)

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you glue a pane of glass both on the inside and outside of the tank where the holes are to be drilled? Would that strengthen the area of the holes? Just a thought.

underwaterjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve drilled and used aqueon 75 gallons twice now and no problem. The 1st tank up and running for 7 years with me then sold. That on had just one 2” hole for overflow drain. My current 75 gallon been going for 6 months with 3 holes. 2 for exotic marine overflow and one for 3/4 return line with no problems.

OP
OP
L

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys.

It's a new tank.

I should have been more clear. Over time, maybe a long time - What is the failure rate (kaboom!!) of drilled tanks vs non drilled tanks. For example, has an engineer done a stress/shock test of a drilled vs an undrilled glass pane.

Of the tanks that exploded and flooded somebody's living room - how many failed because of the hole that was drilled ? That was the structural fault line. I don't mean leak, I mean kaboom.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I use Eshopps HOB overflows and I think they are really good. I see no need to drill my tanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled tanks do not have a greater or lesser chance of catastrophic failure than non-drilled.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With thin glass, like on 10 gallon tank, ~ 1/8", I have about an 80% success rate. Thicker I have a 100% success rate. If it's tempered you'll find out really quick as the whole panel shatters. If this is the first time drilling a hole you can make a template with a piece of plywood. You can use the same diamond bit to drill a hole in hte plywood. Gently clamp or use weights to hold the plywood template in place while you drill the hole. Be sure to run water on it or make a dam with putty an use cutting fluid.
when you say 80% success rate is that 80% didn't break/crack when drilling the hole, or is that 80% didn't fail when water was added?

OP
OP
L

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the warranty. They aren't honored anyway.
I figured they'd weasel out somehow....thanks for the tip

Was stunned about insurance (getting off topic) - no increase in premium for 75 gallon tank...stunned. if it broke it could do - who knows - 100k in damage?!! 75 gallons of saltwater...

BTW I use Eshopps HOB overflows and I think they are really good. I see no need to drill my tanks.

I had two HOB on my 75 and 150 in the 90's...never had a problem but I had two them , just in case one broke siphon. They never did even when the power went out.

Still I want to drill because of overflow noise.

waver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries on drilling - just make sure you are not drilling tempered glass. Aqueon sure doesnt know what type of glass their using so do your homework (sounds like you have). Ive drilled a dozen tanks - even resized from 1/2 to 3/4. Never had any issues. Drilling is pretty hard to mess up so have no fear

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only risk to a drilled tank is you accidentally hitting/bumping the piping and cracking the tank yourself.

If you are really worried about floods then you should be buying an acrylic tank from a quality manufacturer. They have a lower chance of failure.

My second choice would be glass with eurobracing and armored seams and all those whistles.

When tanks fail, it is usually the seams, nothing to do with the overflow.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
80% didn't crack or break when drilling. Don't ever remember having a tank break if the holes were drilled without any issue.
Oh, that’s what I figured you meant, but wanted to be sure haha

I’m definitely not super experienced drilling tanks, but I’m in a similar boat to TimFish. I only ever cracked one tank and it was a 5 gallon. Everything else I drilled was fine

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the new big-box-store tanks cutting corners with thinner glass -so thin -that it's a structural danger to drill an overflow?

It’s more they know what they’ve built. They know how their tank is designed. They are satisfied in its performance. They’re prepared to warranty the tank (although not the much larger water damage if it breaks…)

What they don’t know is where you will drill the hole. How you will drill the hole. How many holes you will drill. What size holes you will drill. How close together multiple holes will be. What precautions you might take while drilling to avoid damaging the glass or seals. Etc etc etc.

This is way way too open ended a question even with thick glass for them to be able to give reassurance over. You’re modifying their design to your design - this voids a warranty on almost anything, not just aquariums.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you say 80% success rate is that 80% didn't break/crack when drilling the hole, or is that 80% didn't fail when water was added?
Thing glass breaks very easily when drilled. Usually if you can drill the hole without it breaking, you are fine long term.

Breakage once drilled?
I am sure it has happened upon initial fill and stress, but would assume that is extremely rare.
I am sure there are instances where outside forces on plumbing or a tank wall (large rock slide, panel bumped very hard, etc.) could cause failure from a chip in the hole...

But in the end, if you drill it without breaking it, you are good to go.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back