Drilling 75 gallon Tank

Saltwater_Reefing

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2023
Messages
193
Reaction score
57
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally bought a 75-gallon reef tank off Facebook Marketplace, and I have resealed it (still waiting to leak test), but I want to be prepared for the future. My LFS can drill the tank, but they charge 75$ for the hole and 45$ for each additional hole. I had thought about getting a Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit on BRS if I were to do it myself, and it's only 20-ish dollars. I would also buy a ghost overflow box, and I guess put it in the middle. Should I attempt it myself or just take the tank to the LFS and have them do it? I also did the glass check with Polarized sunglasses, and when you turn the glasses sideways, the glasses go dark. This is the video I am referring to that I used to see if mine was tempered.

This is the overflox box I was looking at:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/eclipse-m-overflow-box-eshopps/

​

 
Cool video!

I'm a big chicken. So I'd put the burden on the LFS to drill it. But you are probably a lot more confident than me. 😂
 
drill it, its not difficult. make sure you order the correct size bit for the bulkhead your using. they list a pro kit that probably comes with both but i dont see it.
 
I originally bought a 75-gallon reef tank off Facebook Marketplace, and I have resealed it (still waiting to leak test), but I want to be prepared for the future. My LFS can drill the tank, but they charge 75$ for the hole and 45$ for each additional hole. I had thought about getting a Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit on BRS if I were to do it myself, and it's only 20-ish dollars. I would also buy a ghost overflow box, and I guess put it in the middle. Should I attempt it myself or just take the tank to the LFS and have them do it? I also did the glass check with Polarized sunglasses, and when you turn the glasses sideways, the glasses go dark. This is the video I am referring to that I used to see if mine was tempered.

This is the overflox box I was looking at:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/eclipse-m-overflow-box-eshopps/

​


I’ve done a few of those over flow boxes, comes with correct bit.

Just tape the inside glass and keep water on the hole being drilled.

Easy
 
If you do choose to drill the tank, go slow and if you think you are going slow enough, then go a little bit slower and slow down even more as you are about to breakthrough. The good news is that the glass on a 75 gallon tank is a little thicker so it is actually easier to drill than a 10 gallon tank. One other tip is that it is less like drilling and more like grinding.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new