Drilling Aqueon standard 65g

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm planning to drill this tank and have no idea how many holes am I suppose to drill? Do I just need to drill one hole and buy a Overflow kit and plumbing? Any suggestions what type of Overflow and size bulkhead and plumbing I need to get?

I'm thingking getting a HOB overflow if I cannot drill this tank but I read about stories loosing a siphon.

Thank you :)

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a h20 over the flow made by custom aquariums you can look it up on Google Plus you can buy the drill and templates. Has instructions for drilling on line.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get overflow kits from glasscages.com and they come in kits as well. Even with the hole saw! I used one on my last build and never had a problem with it and it was super easy. It was my first time drilling a tank, just watch lots of videos before you do it and you shouldn't have a problem.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get overflow kits from glasscages.com and they come in kits as well. Even with the hole saw! I used one on my last build and never had a problem with it and it was super easy. It was my first time drilling a tank, just watch lots of videos before you do it and you shouldn't have a problem.
I agree to watch videos

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need to get with the tank manufacturer and make sure the glass is not tempered.

This is also a very good idea. I'm pretty sure most tanks are only tempered on the bottom but it's better to check for sure!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is also a very good idea. I'm pretty sure most tanks are only tempered on the bottom but it's better to check for sure!
There should be a sticker on any glass in the tank that's tempered. I have a 40g breeder and it came with a sticker on the bottom to not drill the bottom because it was tempered.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I will look into them but when you drilled your tank, how many holes did you drill?

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the drain? So total holes I need to drill will be 2, 1 for overflow and 1 for the drain?

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people drill an emergency over flow hole, and return holes too but I didn't on my last tank, and my current tank is sumpless.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back