Drilling out Aquarium Chip

SlayerofRhodactis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I picked up a standard 75 gallon tank and while moving it around place to place we ended up causing a chip in the middle top of the large panel. It's approximately 3" from the top of the glass. The crack size is ~2-3mm in diameter. I was wondering if anyone had used a carbide drill to drill the crack out smooth and then fill the hole in with windshield epoxy? I'm not willing to risk a leak because I can be away from home for periods of time that would cause significant water damage or livestock death if I had a leak. The consensus I've seen is that this crack may fine but I personally want to smooth it out to make sure there isn't somewhere for a crack to initiate from. I'm also debating buying a new tank but I don't currently have the money and I need to move my corals soon.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is repairing the tank going to be adequate peace of mind while you're away (even if internet strangers tell you it's going to be ok)?

Or will you have a nagging feeling in the back of your mind that the tank isn't as robust as it could be?

OP
OP
SlayerofRhodactis

SlayerofRhodactis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is repairing the tank going to be adequate peace of mind while you're away (even if internet strangers tell you it's going to be ok)?

Or will you have a nagging feeling in the back of your mind that the tank isn't as robust as it could be?
I think this is the only way I've come up with that I would feel comfortable with. People drill tanks all the time with success, this would be the same without the original intent. I'd just fill it with epoxy to plug the hole and clean up the appearance.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back