drilling through floor

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank location is sitting over basement iron beam and floor joists. I cannot go through the wall sit it sit right over the beam and due to some other basement pipes, I have to come out at least 12 inches from the wall. I have decided to run the pipes through the bottom of my cabinet. I am going to cut the hole in the bottom of my cabinet and through the floor the same size as a a floor vent in case I move the tank and don't want to immediately replace the wood slat.

The space directly under the tank is a wide open area. I was thinking about running pipe to the sidewall in the basement but that adds another 90" bend just a few inches from another bend. I will see if that causes any issues and if it does, I will just run the sump straight under the tank.

Need some ideas. What is available for vertical pipe support which also allows to adjusting the distance from the pipe to a wall. I found these: Stainless Steel Wall Mount Ceiling Mount Pipe Supports

Thanks,

Bob

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those mounts work or the plastic mounts that have ratchets on them are good too, i use the plastic ones on all my pvc runs and on the pvc tubes for the UVs. just make sure its supported wll as it gets heavy if you have long runs once its in use.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those mounts work or the plastic mounts that have ratchets on them are good too, i use the plastic ones on all my pvc runs and on the pvc tubes for the UVs. just make sure its supported wll as it gets heavy if you have long runs once its in use.
The rachet ones are great but the metal mounts allows me some latitude in distance from a mounting surface since they are adjustable.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut a rectangular hole for a floor vent. Easier to get pipes through than a dedicated hole & easy to cover if needed.
Quik Clamps are the real deal for PVC pipes & have a threaded hole in the rear if you need them away from the wall.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered about that before. I would think a 90 degree bend if needed would be rough to do with 1" Pex. What elbows do you use with Pex and what are they made of?
they make alll standard plumbing fitting for pex.its not a bad idea at all.. in one inch its probably not cost prohibitive,, if you step up to 2 inch the pex starts getting much more pricey than the 2 inch pvc runs and fitting are cheaper.

if going basement sump i would advise against 1 inch piping.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flexible PVC is the best of both worlds. All kinds of dimensions, no hard turns and can use regular PVC fittings with it.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered about that before. I would think a 90 degree bend if needed would be rough to do with 1" Pex. What elbows do you use with Pex and what are they made of?
There are various makes. I did my friends house with 3/4 . The fittings were some type of plastic. You used an expander on the pipe, and crammed the fitting on. It worked great but had to work fast. I have seen brass fittings as well. Just google it. All the new homes are done with it, and I am sure you will find what can work. I did not realize you needed 1". Also don't know what radius you can get with just straight pipe. If you go to a building supply You can do that test.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those of you that have their reef tank set up on hard wood floors. Has anyone drilled through the floor in order to run their PVC down to the basement in order to get to the water bins? If you have, can you post up a picture of what you did to make it presentable? If you have, I imagine it's behind the tank and out of site. I'm debating doing this, but, the thought of it :(. If I do it, I figure I'd use a hole saw, and save the plug in case I ever need to close the hole up, I'd just glue it in place.

Going through the plaster wall and down, is out of the question. It was a fight just to get a #12 romex down, Aint about to fight a PVC pipe, the access / clearance in the basement isn't there. So going through the wood floor is my only option.
Plugging the hole will never look quite right. Having a professional put the pipe through the wall will be a lot less expensive than having the floorboards replaced when you need to.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they make alll standard plumbing fitting for pex.its not a bad idea at all.. in one inch its probably not cost prohibitive,, if you step up to 2 inch the pex starts getting much more pricey than the 2 inch pvc runs and fitting are cheaper.

if going basement sump i would advise against 1 inch piping.
I was looking for pex fittings but they all seem to be metal. Is there a site to find non metal fittings? If I am going straight down to the basement, I am not worried about 1" plumbing since I have 3 drain lines.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for pex fittings but they all seem to be metal. Is there a site to find non metal fittings? If I am going straight down to the basement, I am not worried about 1" plumbing since I have 3 drain lines.
go to a you tube video by pex universe " pex fittings explained. try manufacturers Upnor, Sioux Chief, Viega, Apollo, Nibco, A.Y, Matco-Nora, and lastly Mcdonalds ( made with recycled hamburgers ). The first 2 make plastic for sure.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also go to a hardware store, and look at a sharkbite fitting. I was looking for one, as I used to use them at work before I retired. They are metal outside, but I believe all plastic when it comes to water contact and you wont need any tools, as they are push on

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back