Drillng tank for returns?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I hate the plumbing that goes over the top of my tank from my return pump. I'm thinking about drilling holes and putting in bulkheads right at the water line instead... What are the pros and cons? Anybody else do this? My tank is acrylic so drilling is no big deal
20191114_175329.jpg

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I hate the plumbing that goes over the top of my tank from my return pump. I'm thinking about drilling holes and putting in bulkheads right at the water line instead... What are the pros and cons? Anybody else do this? My tank is acrylic so drilling is no big deal
20191114_175329.jpg
You're going to drill that tank that's full of livestock?

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that wouldnt be an issue

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks motor trends, yes I'll lower the water level. The vacuum is a good idea. Vin are you trying to warn me of a specific issue I could run into or.....?

Ken logan

Elite reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull water down much a possible to relieve stress on tank when full of livestock. Keep vacuum going. Make sure prep work is done meaning bulkheads fittings pipe ready to go.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that wouldnt be an issue

There is a video out there that I have been trying to find. A guy tried drilling his tank by lowering the water level below the drill location. Then he stared to drill.

EPIC FAIL.

Empty the tank before the drill.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks motor trends, yes I'll lower the water level. The vacuum is a good idea. Vin are you trying to warn me of a specific issue I could run into or.....?
It looks like you've had great success as it is so I don't understand why you'd want to change something and most likely nothing will happen if something does happen it'd be a shame to lose such a nice tank
I have a hang on back return and I don't like it but I've had Success With It and the new tank I'm building out does not have a hang on back. But what I have now it works and it doesn't have any problems I'm not trying to discourage you just wondering if you have a plan B

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a video out there that I have been trying to find. A guy tried drilling his tank by lowering the water level below the drill location. Then he stared to drill.

EPIC FAIL.

Was this an acrylic tank? How low was his water? If it's a significant risk I wont do it, but I was planning on removing 90% of the water

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EPIC FAIL.

That was a glass tank... I would never drill.a glass tank with any water in it. An acrylic tank would be fine as long as the water levels low.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you've had great success as it is so I don't understand why you'd want to change something and most likely nothing will happen if something does happen it'd be a shame to lose such a nice tank
I have a hang on back return and I don't like it but I've had Success With It and the new tank I'm building out does not have a hang on back. But what I have now it works and it doesn't have any problems I'm not trying to discourage you just wondering if you have a plan B

That's actually very solid advice for reefing in general!

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this on my tank & didn't remove all the water, just enough to drill it. I had no issues. Below is a link to the overflow I got but check online for a better price. My tank is also acrylic.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a glass tank... I would never drill.a glass tank with any water in it. An acrylic tank would be fine as long as the water levels low.

Maybe I missed it, but, the OP didn't mention it was an acrylic tank.

I agree; its a beautiful tank. Why fix something that isn't broken?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but, the OP didn't mention it was an acrylic tank.

I agree; its a beautiful tank. Why fix something that isn't broken?
He mentioned it in the last line.of the first post. But I also agree, if it ain't broke... dont fix it

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I appreciate all of the advice. I think I'll hold off for now since I don't have a good reason to take any risks. I do want to see that video now though

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back