Drive Port DIY?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Hydros website: “A Drive Port is a universal output port that provides switched 12v DC power to run all kinds of devices like small motors, pumps, fans, and even low wattage lights!.” There are no pre-built fans, lights, etc.

Is there some way to plug into the drive port any device that uses 12v power? For example, if there is a 12v automatic feeder out there, that normally just plugs into an outlet, is there some electrical device that connects such a device into the drive port? Or, must it be developed in the future? I feel like my lack of electrical knowledge means that I am missing out on something.
If the drive port powers “low wattage lights,” where are these lights? If I get off-brand low wattage lights, how do I connect them to the drive port?

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Hydros website: “A Drive Port is a universal output port that provides switched 12v DC power to run all kinds of devices like small motors, pumps, fans, and even low wattage lights!.” There are no pre-built fans, lights, etc.

Is there some way to plug into the drive port any device that uses 12v power? For example, if there is a 12v automatic feeder out there, that normally just plugs into an outlet, is there some electrical device that connects such a device into the drive port? Or, must it be developed in the future? I feel like my lack of electrical knowledge means that I am missing out on something.
If the drive port powers “low wattage lights,” where are these lights? If I get off-brand low wattage lights, how do I connect them to the drive port?

We do have a pretty good DIY section on our online Hydros forum! You should check that out ! A lot of your questions can be answered there. :)

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked that out but am still wildly confused. I guess I will keep reading...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked that out but am still wildly confused. I guess I will keep reading...

12v drive port is just like any outlet; you can program it based on any input.

It supplies 12v up to 1 amp (12w) per port or 1.5amps (18w) combined on both ports. That limits it to only low power devices; it’s not something that can power a return pump or aquarium lighting.

In theory you can connect any low power 12v device (fans, LED strip, ATO pump, solenoid, relay, etc)

Are you asking about the physical connection? It uses GX12-2 connector, which you can either buy and connect to your own cable, or buy preassembled on eBay if you search “Hydros Drive Port”.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back