DRIVING FORCE: May The 4th Be With You!! (WIN a R2R Swag Pack)

What or Who has been a driving FORCE for you in this hobby? (select all that apply)

• Friends in the hobby

Votes: 192 29.2%
  • A website or forum

Votes: 234 35.6%
  • A certain tank build or thread

Votes: 94 14.3%
  • A popular online pesonality

Votes: 115 17.5%
  • A book or publication

Votes: 47 7.1%
  • Reef2Reef (sorry not sorry)

Votes: 295 44.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 196 29.8%

• Total voters

Muwahha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely my wife. Always had fish tanks and wanted saltwater. About the time I had one setup and going, out first child came along. A house and another kid 10 years later she reinforces me to do it and supports it 100%.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the personal force that drove me to do things the way I do. I am my own commander and chief and I drive myself to be better. That said, I find other peoples tanks useful to help me seek the level of perfection I am looking for. With @SawCJack00 and @Sisterlimonpot as my nearest reefers they provide me with assistance and guidance. Looking at there systems provides me with the inspiration to be better and better.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say so much as a driving force (to me the beauty of the tank, respect for nature, and the blend of hobby and science are DRIVING forces), but R2R, BRSTv, FishOfHex, Melev's reef, CORAL magazine, and MACNA are the SUSTAINING force for me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to credit my father although he had no idea at the time. When I was 6 my father got a 55g tank and we made a community tank. I was instantly caught up. I had tanks on and off after that. When I went to college I got a job at a small pet store in Clark’s Summit PA called John’s fish pond. A co- worker was selling his saltwater set up and I bought it along with a lion fish and a humma trigger. That’s when I went from fresh to salt and ever looked back. I have had more than 10 SW tanks since them over the years. Currently I have a Waterbox 70.2 mixed reef and couldn’t be happier.

A3A0535D-8103-47B6-AD3F-D0DA44B9AFCD.jpeg

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this forum, brs, tidal gardens youtube and all the amazing eye candy in various places. Also the challenge. Can i do it? Maintain it? Have my livestock thrive? Also all the awesome gear that is available. Ive wanted a reef tank since 2010, with traveling for work and kids it wasn't possible until last year in April. And here we are.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What or whom has been the greatest driving FORCE for you to become a better aquarium keeper?

Not sure anyone got me into it. I constantly seek out the next challenging obsession.

My other obsessions

1) Home Brew - won blue ribbon for black lager at Iowa State Fair (Schwartzbeir)
2) Software Engineering and Full Stack Development. This is my current career. I do everything from gathering initial requirements to training end users after deployment.

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been into saltwater aquariums in and off since 2000. I always had Freshwater tanks growing up. When I was college I had a girlfriend who's roommate had a 55 gallon reef tank. Of course I feel in love with it, and soon had a 29 gallon started.

Back then I was using CF bulbs lol. I still remember taking tinfoil to line the top of the light fixture that came with the tank

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most influential person has been my wife. I started in this hobby when I was a single guy, so I cut corners made obnoxious DIY projects, etc. She has pushed me to make things better, nicer, and more convenient for us. Over all her love for the marine life has helped make our new tank better than ever!

yan2pr

I grow GHA better than anything else
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inspiration has been my family, everybody has fallen in love with this hobby and is something we enjoy together, of course R2R and BRS have made it possible for us to enjoy without messing things up too much.

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, my biggest driving force has been my own stubbornness. When I want something, I WILL make it happen! I have always dreamed of having a reef tank, and now I have one! AND, so far, it's successful. I have to give credit to R2R, because this is such a great forum for help and correct information. The help I have received has been truly awesome! And of course having friends in the hobby helps, too!

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I voted other and here is why.
I always had freshwater tanks with my dad when I was a kid, I always wanted to do a saltwater tank but when my dad left my mom when I was a kid that was now out as she could barely afford me to keep up with the freshwater tank, but my God did she always make sure I could. I kept tanks up until my son was like 3 YO.
Fast forward to January of 2020 (should’ve known then how this year was going to go) I was told I may have lung cancer... So while I go through all the testing and waiting to hear what going on that is now taking even longer with COVID, I decided screw it! I am going to finally get my saltwater tank I always wanted!
Now since then, joking this group and other reefing communities has been a real motivator along with the great BRS video as a roadmap I am well on my way... BTW just in case I do have what they think I have I’m dragging my wife along for the ride and showing her everything so maybe God forbid the tank continues on without me... OK enough of the downer crap! ;-)

Back