DRIVING FORCE: May The 4th Be With You!! (WIN a R2R Swag Pack)

What or Who has been a driving FORCE for you in this hobby? (select all that apply)

• Friends in the hobby

Votes: 192 29.2%
  • A website or forum

Votes: 234 35.6%
  • A certain tank build or thread

Votes: 94 14.3%
  • A popular online pesonality

Votes: 115 17.5%
  • A book or publication

Votes: 47 7.1%
  • Reef2Reef (sorry not sorry)

Votes: 295 44.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 196 29.8%

• Total voters

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being in the hobby for over 24 years, it's hard to just give up an throw in the towel. There is always something new to learn through R2R, local FC, and videos such as BRS and all the hobbyist on YouTube.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Driving force to put me in the hobby was oddly enough, a friend getting out of the hobby. They gave me a very very brown 20g tank with two clowns hidden somewhere in the depths. Now my driving force is keeping these two nasty clowns satisfied and in general, just seeing what I can do. It's great to have a hobby I can research and pour myself into again.

Lance Fjeseth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Fresh water tanks growing up, migrated to saltwater during college, raised poison dart frogs for a few years, and eventually could not resist the reef - once the technology made it much easier I jumped in. I love to research and solve problems - this hobby fills those needs.

Ryan420r6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hometown Houston Reefing forum “MARSH” and Reef2Reef as well as BRS, Tidal Gardens, and MELEVS Reef in no particular order. They all provide something useful in their own right.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
685F2727-DBE0-43C6-BAB5-C1DE87985CF6.jpeg

R2R for sure!

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buddy of mine helped me kick it back into gear when my last tank crashed. He hooked me up with all kinds of free coral and a couple fish. This community is also a plus. Seeing others tanks and and passion is always awesome. I also like to be generous with this hobby. I give away corals and equipment I'm not using and try to spread Christ that way!!! Just a little extra cuz God is good.

RiversideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something about taking care of something that completely relies on you to either thrive or die... in a way it's a measurement of my care and attentiveness that ultimately decides the success of my tank. i already know based on other things i've done that require the same attention/growth... once my tank gets going i will get a sense of achievement by just staring at the tank and remembering how far i've come and how big the fishes/frags of corals have gotten.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hv quite a number of books on the subject. Got into the hobby bc of a friends tank. At the time there was no ramp up or down and I remember him flipping on the lights to his tank and everything just blooming like a flower in fast motion. sounds weird but that’s the only way to explain it. It was an amazing sight! Now I get most of my guidance, motivation, and shared passion fm our forum.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first it was BRS YouTube videos which I’m sure most people would say the same thing.

as I progressed Reef2reef is by far the number 1 source of everything in this hobby lol I’ve posted noob questions to some in depth conversations and over the years my very own progression and evolution is a testimony to what I’ve learned in R2R

also please don’t send me a small this covid quarantine added a couple pounds to the waist area lol!!!:D

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always love the ocean had freshwater planted tanks for 15 years. lfs kept asking when I was going to start a salt tank because I did so well with fresh and gave them a tons of plants. Finally my GF moved in and said she wanted a salt tank started a 75gallon system ended up selling my 3 fresh tanks and a year an a half later have a 75 reef plus just started a 90 gallon reef. so my inspiration would be extreme tropical pet in Ohio with my GF as a kicker lol ohh the r2r community has kept me in for sure.

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's R2R and the community. There are so many great tanks out there that when I'm browsing the forum and I see them it really makes me strive create something as beautiful in my home. The satisfaction I get from nurturing it and developing my own tank can really be very calming after a long day at work (until something inevitably goes wrong haha).

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started with BRS tv ans quickly morphed into R2R. R2R is an amazing forum that with the most helpful people. Couldn't do it without you guys. Thanks
I am in the same boat. BRStv got me started, then R2R kept me going. R2R helps me through the good and bad times, and I don't even have a tank anymore haha.

SecretSquirrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owning a service company and trying to learn something new about aquariums as often as possible. Whether that's reading through a book or watching/listening to videos from brs, tidal gardens and more...there's always something new to learn or refresh the memory on. Getting to help my clients (new and old) learn more about their aquariums and enjoy them to the fullest while keeping everything in check for the fish and corals. Sharing a hobby with my step-dad who i can always talk to about aquariums and taught me so much during my childhood (I remember our first saltwater tank..it was an old wood grain hexagon with an undergravel filter (HA!) There was salt creep everywhere lol). Competing with my dad on who knows the most (he usually wins). Being there for my clients if something goes wrong, guide them through it and be there to encourage them to keep going, even though it may be tough. And at the end of the day, getting to sit and watch my own tanks and the relaxation that they bring. There's so much that is a driving force for me. I can honestly say I wouldn't be who I am without aquariums.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back