• Live and Dry

Results are only viewable after voting.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty cool scape! Is that a recent build or do you have updated pics?
Here's a current picture of the same rock as of today. Nice a purple. Took about 6 months from white to this. Hope this helps. Cheers!
IMG_4420.JPG
:

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of all the rock I purchased I like BRS Fiji the best. Pukani second. Marco rocks and BRS base is pretty much the same. I like Fiji because it is the most porous. Pukani has cool shapes. As you can see "opinions" vary. I made my choice because I didn't want to battle pests. Fighting pest and nuisance algae is the least favorite part of the hobby. Yes you miss out on getting the good critters but it means less work.

By curing my rock I avoided bad outbreaks of ugly algae. NoPox keeps my nutrients low so I hope to keep on avoiding it.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a current picture of the same rock as of today. Nice a purple. Took about 6 months from white to this. Hope this helps. Cheers!
IMG_4420.JPG
:

Looks wonderful! When will you be adding coral? Or you just doing fish?

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4420.JPG
:

You went six months empty? Now that is discipline!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You went six months empty? Now that is discipline!
Me? Discipline? LOL. There 3 Firefish and a starter CUC crawling around in there. Corals, Feather Dusters, shrimp and more CUC in a QT. Starry Blenny, Pink Watchman Goby, clownfish, and a Copperband Butterfly are in another QT. Velvet wiped out a previous QT of 5 fish. Arrgh.

Ryan Souza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes down to your level of patience IMO, as everyone said dry is free of pests and looks phenomenal, live rock is quick quick quick, to each is their own, i love dry pukani. Bleach bath and lanthum work quick.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me? Discipline? LOL. There 3 Firefish and a starter CUC crawling around in there. Corals, Feather Dusters, shrimp and more CUC in a QT. Starry Blenny, Pink Watchman Goby, clownfish, and a Copperband Butterfly are in another QT. Velvet wiped out a previous QT of 5 fish. Arrgh.

Because Im going dry rock I was also thinking of setting up a QT tank but dont know how much involvement is it? Also I spent enough $ on my tank lol... Worth it? Whats the best way doing it? Thanks..

P.S. I got a PM from someone that did dry rock 2 years ago and he said it was a nightmare. Had so many algae problems.. I was like awwwwwwwww but the vote is in on this board dry rock is 39% vs. 29% LR ;)

tkeiffer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petsolution seems like a great deal. Dr Foster and smith rock is man made so Ill skip that. Did you get any unwanted pests from petsoltuion?
No I got some pineapple sponge and some pods but nothing bad

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock leaves one open to all kinds of algae issues. Dry rock went out of fashion 30 years ago when the Berlin method came into the US based on fresh live rock. When Live rock became regulated people went back to dry rock and back to the same issues of algae and bacteria imbalance that kept the hobby from moving forward till be started to use fresh live rock. So how people think dealing with all the crazy algae issues is better. Dry rock is not porous enough to get both aerobic and non aerobic bacteria in the same piece of rock that fresh live rock has and doesn't have the sponges and other life that competes to keep algae from taking hold.

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock leaves one open to all kinds of algae issues. Dry rock went out of fashion 30 years ago when the Berlin method came into the US based on fresh live rock. When Live rock became regulated people went back to dry rock and back to the same issues of algae and bacteria imbalance that kept the hobby from moving forward till be started to use fresh live rock. So how people think dealing with all the crazy algae issues is better. Dry rock is not porous enough to get both aerobic and non aerobic bacteria in the same piece of rock that fresh live rock has and doesn't have the sponges and other life that competes to keep algae from taking hold.
100% correct! Nothing else needs to be said.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine from natural ocean , Amazon.com! Super good deal! Looks the same as reef sabers based on the pictures that I see how some yellow sand on it that I can scrub off but overall sings like really nice dry rock . It says it was soaked in water I don’t know if I fully believe that so I’m going to take the cautions and soak it for 3 to 4 weeks . Take a look at the pics let me know what you think .

And for the hard-core live rock hobbyist I understand why live rock is way better I’m just doing different than I did 11 years ago to see if I get a different result . Hopefully turns out well . Also trying to keep under a budget .

87CFF50C-1D07-4A48-AB2D-D6CC0AE4AB16.jpeg

417E312A-DFAA-444D-A3E0-2AAFB4DED95A.jpeg

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I put the rock on top of the stand or right on the glass then sand around?

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or should I put a egg crate down? Will that cause trapped debris and cause issues with the tank?

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it both ways.. Dry, and live.. However, here's the caveat. If you want to pay 4.00 a pound at your LFS for live rock, your just TOSSING your money away. All dry rock is cheaper, and you only need 1 starter live rock to get the ball rolling.

Now I went all live this go round, but I was buying it off craigslist from people who don't want their tanks anymore. At 1.00 a pound, it was a better go than dry rock. Simple re-cure in the brute trash can and more money for other toys.. :0

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it both ways.. Dry, and live.. However, here's the caveat. If you want to pay 4.00 a pound at your LFS for live rock, your just TOSSING your money away. All dry rock is cheaper, and you only need 1 starter live rock to get the ball rolling.

Now I went all live this go round, but I was buying it off craigslist from people who don't want their tanks anymore. At 1.00 a pound, it was a better go than dry rock. Simple re-cure in the brute trash can and more money for other toys.. :0

How did your dry exp go? I have about 160lbs of dry coming for my 90. Maybe thats a bit much? lol I got it for $.80c per pound! very happy with it. I have a lot more $ as well for other toys ha

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you GLUE your rocks together first, put them straight on glass, then sand... If your not gluing, you need the egg crate.

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is not porous enough to get both aerobic and non aerobic bacteria in the same piece of rock that fresh live rock has

Depends on the rock. Both Fiji and pukani rock from BRS are VERY porous. I agree base rock is not porous. If you take the time to pre-cure dry rock you can avoid most of the algae issues.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back