Dry Rock

Oroborous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am new around here but i would like to share my experience. I was facing a challenge with the aquascaping as i wanted to merge dry rock together, I am sure all of us want to make their aquarium as much interesting as possible. I end up hitting the wall with it because at first i bought two little fishes Aquastik

752508-97ae7a76b44a8c9d51dabc46d06642d1.jpg

That did not work well for me. Not saying it's a bad product it simply did not work for me and perhaps it is not what i wanted to use it for. It did not stick well, and it did dry fast however it did not held the rock well. I started to poke around and i found something that was interesting, I bought my dry rock from Marco Rocks, searching on their site i realized they also sell E-Marco 400 mortar that would be ideal for dry rock however a bit pricey. I know that if you want something decent you need t pay for it but i am simply under a budget and i was forced to search around. Finally i dig around and i found something very interesting...Thermoplastic pellets..You just heat up water to a point it almost boils and i used a spoon to scoop some of these and put them in that water..the color of them changes to clear and it becomes sticky kind of like a sort of like an play-doh for kids. This worked like a charm for me, it's easy to apply ,goes into cracks easily and drys fairly quick as well but not too quick. I paid about $15.00 on Amazon for 15 oz for it. I still have tons left. Best of it all it's not toxic! You can drill through it after it hardens and you can probably even stop a leak with that stuff. I will take some pictures and post it later what i did with it. It seems to hold the rock very strong! Anyway i decided to share it with you in case someone is looking for a solution and it the same limbo i was stuck.

752514-069711bb815e13895699fb055c6ff958.jpg

81WtWxZtiaL._SL1500_.jpg

61PUBZhisrL._SL1000_.jpg

OP
OP
Oroborous

Oroborous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Check this out : Polycaprolactone

Few interesting things about it:

Easy to melt and shape into your creation

Polly Plastics Moldable Plastic is perfect for making plastic parts without injection molds or 2-part epoxy systems. Just heat the pellets in hot water above 150 degrees F for 2-3 minutes until they turn from white to clear. Remove them from the water and you can mold them into any shape you desire. Upon cooling, they will be strong and permanent. If you change your mind, you can reheat and modify until you get it right. Since this plastic is so strong, you can drill it, sand it, varnish it or superglue it to something else. Safe to use.

Hundreds of uses

Polly Plastics Moldable Plastic is great for crafts, art projects, home repair, model making, toys, cosplay costumes/masks and prototyping. Use it make custom parts, handles, grips, hooks, brackets and cases. We’ve included an Idea & Instruction booklet to help you get started and inspire your creativity. The large 35 oz. container has enough plastic to form about a 4 inch solid cube.

Last edited:

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost tried that stuff but I was concerned that it would harden too quickly underwater. Tried Marcos out and was very happy.
Agree 100% on those putties though. They don't hold for crap.

OP
OP
Oroborous

Oroborous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what i did with it. I am a beginner in this hobby so just saying in front before i get some kind of flame for it. It holds strong i can lift the rock and it holds very well.

20180812_100922.jpg

20180812_100911.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back