OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On an automatic doser or manually? Love the purple tang. You only doing one tang? I know they are a bit aggressive towards others.
Manual dosing daily and nightly. The purple has been in that tank since the beginning at 2", he'd shred another one instantly. Lol.

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so, the fish are almost maxed as far as growth goes, there matured at least. Bio load is stable with the current stock list and no sickness in over 5 years so I'm content with the fish list. The purple tang in person is really colorful/bright, like a cobalt color then yellow fins are bright yellow contrast. Pics don't do him justice.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so, the fish are almost maxed as far as growth goes, there matured at least. Bio load is stable with the current stock list and no sickness in over 5 years so I'm content with the fish list. The purple tang in person is really colorful/bright, like a cobalt color then yellow fins are bright yellow contrast. Pics don't do him justice.

Oh I can only imagine! Looking stunning

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWIII Here's what we have left. Looks really blue since the halides are not on
Resized_20180101_104536.jpg

Man, those little guys did nom nom the heck out of the colony. Still beautiful! Those look a lil different than the utter chaos I have and have seen. Are you taking out the asterina as you can or just hoping they thin out naturally?

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, those little guys did nom nom the heck out of the colony. Still beautiful! Those look a lil different than the utter chaos I have and have seen. Are you taking out the asterina as you can or just hoping they thin out naturally?
We try to pull out manually as much as we can but it's a friggen battle. My wife will pull out 80 in a morning sometimes. Utter chaos will morph under different lighting intensities I've noticed. Under lower intensity the pattern breaks up, under high intensity the pattern turns almost solid.

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you all considered a harlequin? I was close to trying one a few years ago on a tank with a bunch of asterina, but chickened out.

In an effort to not derail your tank build thread into an asterina thread, I love the hunting mandarins as well, very cool!

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you all considered a harlequin? I was close to trying one a few years ago on a tank with a bunch of asterina, but chickened out.

In an effort to not derail your tank build thread into an asterina thread, I love the hunting mandarins as well, very cool!
No worries! Lol. We've thought about it but we have a bunch of micro brittle stars that we like having in the tank. Maybe one day, I also thought bongo shrimp look cool but will devour brittles too. My luck, the harlequin will eat all the brittles before touching an asterina;Hilarious of course the asterinas won't touch the overgrown colony of purple deaths!

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! Lol. We've thought about it but we have a bunch of micro brittle stars that we like having in the tank. Maybe one day, I also thought bongo shrimp look cool but will devour brittles too. My luck, the harlequin will eat all the brittles before touching an asterina;Hilarious of course the asterinas won't touch the overgrown colony of purple deaths!

Haha! Sounds about right! Always nice to get reassurance that these things don't just happen to me. I had some zoa nudis once upon a time and the expensive ones were 1st on the hit list, almost went in perfect order of most $$$ to least!

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Sounds about right! Always nice to get reassurance that these things don't just happen to me. I had some zoa nudis once upon a time and the expensive ones were 1st on the hit list, almost went in perfect order of most $$$ to least!
Yep, that's how it always happens!;Hilarious

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple pics my wife took of the tank. Mandarin pair going hunting at night. They do the same routine together every night, it's really cool to watch.
Resized_20171230_202428.jpg
DSC,
That's really neat.
Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back