DSLR White custom adjustment. pics still look not right

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, so i did the white matte plate in the tank (under my new reefbrites), took a picture, used it as my custom white balance and my pics still come out like this. what did i do wrong? :eek:oh:

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make sure that the photo, of the white plate, was completely focused, filled all of the photo AND that the exposure was NOT blown out? To help obtain focus, use a pen to draw a small + in the center of the plate. Focus on this +. Make sure that your exposure isn't blown out, in fact, if you're a step under exposed, it may work better. It's also important that the white plate fill as much of the photo as possible.

Every once in awhile, the white doesn't work. If that's the case, you'll need to find a "gray scale" card.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RAW is preferred, as Gadgets stated. I do not recommend putting any markings on the plate. The meter will try to average that dark area with the white and give you a false reading. Hold the plate in the water at the same angle as the "surface" of the coral colony so that the light reflects off of it at the same angle as it reflects off of the coral polyps. Holding the plate vertically, or nearly so, will give a false reading. Yes, the entire frame must be filled by the white plate. Try photographing the plate at different angles to see which one produces the best custom white balance. It really is much easier and more accurate to shoot in the RAW format.
Gary

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to above posts. RAW is awsome!

Told you, you would like the reefbrites,and are those the palys we were talking about?:bigsmile:

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelby! YUP! those are the zoas! and i'm loving the reefbrites big time! thank you guys for the input. i really appreciate it and want to take my photo skills to a "higher level" like Chris and Gary! so should i still shoot in raw using the "matte white plate" technique or just shoot in raw without any special white balancing?

+1 to above posts. RAW is awsome!

Told you, you would like the reefbrites,and are those the palys we were talking about?:bigsmile:

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secret, you don't have to do anything in the camera in terms of white balance when shooting in the RAW format. The RAW format means that the sensor retains all data that it collects when exposed. You decide what to do with the data in your computer. Just set your camera image quality to RAW and capture the images. Note that the image files will be considerably larger than the jpg files you've been getting.
Gary

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gary for the information and always being a class act. i appreciate it. i'll try to get to the camera tonight after putting the kids down. btw would faststone be a good image editing tool?

Secret, you don't have to do anything in the camera in terms of white balance when shooting in the RAW format. The RAW format means that the sensor retains all data that it collects when exposed. You decide what to do with the data in your computer. Just set your camera image quality to RAW and capture the images. Note that the image files will be considerably larger than the jpg files you've been getting.
Gary

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Glad to help. Have never heard of Faststone so I can't speak to that. On one of the CDs that came with your camera you'll find a piece of software that will convert RAW files and allow you to edit images. If it's a Canon camera, the software is Digital Photo Professional. That software is free and designed for your camera. If you use the software that comes with your camera, be sure to download the latest version. If you're going to purchase photo-editing software, Photoshop Elements will do the job for a low price. Even lower if you have a student or educator in the family. It will do everything Photoshop will do in terms of basic photo editing. I'm sure others will have suggestions for free photo-editing software. I've never used those free Internet-based programs so I'm no help there.
Hope things go well for you,
Gary

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i better go dig around the computer. lol i might have misplaced that cd. i do have photoshop and heard that there is an auto balancing tool, i didn't see it as a selection tho. do i have the wrong version?

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh heh yup i know you gots them! got some other "secret" stash growing out. can u say true GOLD SPLATTERED PE???? (bah only 7 polyps right now tho) i'll send you a pic. ......
yeah get a good pic of them paly's so i can steal it...:xd: haha i have them but can't take pics... lolol

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word of warning, when you start shooting in RAW. You'll fill up your HD FAST...lol. I recently had to go out and buy a 1 TB HD, because my RAW files filled my old HD, much quicker than anticipated!

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM to be exact. i'll be okay with shooting in raw as far as space. i got a 16GB hdsd and i usually take the pictures off after each "photo session".

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks my brutha. tried shooting in RAW tonight. it didn't work out for me. these pics i posted are the closest so far as what my "eye" sees when i look at my stuff under these reefbrites!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back