OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can drive up and help you scrub if you would like some help. The hippie kid will help too! The offer is there!
You just want a beach vacation ;)
We will see how bad it actually is when I get home. Hopefully won’t take too much elbow grease.
Do NOT offer to feed the hippie kid...you have no idea how much he eats!
Ha :D I’ve already got two miniature bottomless pits ;Hilarious

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally in. We need to give @Dsnakes a serious welcome home. Instead of a dish to pass, we each bring a coral. Not just saying that because I want a beach vacation.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my son’s 6th birthday yesterday :) I was happy to be able to FaceTime with him for a bit this morning (yesterday for him).

Nothing new to update on the tank. He excitedly showed me the fish and told me I have lots of algae to clean up when I get home ;Nailbiting;Dead.

One more month!
Happy bday junior! Hows the tank doing according to your sitters? All well?

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy bday junior! Hows the tank doing according to your sitters? All well?
I think it’s doing as well as it can. It seemed to be thriving for the first couple months. I think the lack of good maintenance caught up with it though.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s doing as well as it can. It seemed to be thriving for the first couple months. I think the lack of good maintenance caught up with it though.
I've got a 17year old nephew who is fascinated w my tank. He doesnt know it, but I've been grooming him for my vacation tank sitting for 6 months. LOL

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 17year old nephew who is fascinated w my tank. He doesnt know it, but I've been grooming him for my vacation tank sitting for 6 months. LOL
Very smart!

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have input on getting an urchin or two for helping control the GHA I will have to conquer when I get home?

Which would be the best kind that doesn’t grow too large? Most of my corals are (hopefully still are) encrusted to the rocks. Would prefer one that is least likely to bulldoze them...if that exists :rolleyes:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have input on getting an urchin or two for helping control the GHA I will have to conquer when I get home?

Which would be the best kind that doesn’t grow too large? Most of my corals are (hopefully still are) encrusted to the rocks. Would prefer one that is least likely to bulldoze them...if that exists :rolleyes:
We had a pincushion in the wife's tank that constantly ate, it was a workhorse. It done a fantastic job if you don't mind him picking up you cuc and other small items along the way. :D

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tuxedo urchin. Beautiful purple with blue spots, that were, almost bioluminescent. Looked amazing.

The only cons I've heard are to zoas from time to time. And as stated above, the issue of it picking up companions on it's never ending search for food. Urchins are the true lawnmowers of saltwater.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a pincushion in the wife's tank that constantly ate, it was a workhorse. It done a fantastic job if you don't mind him picking up you cuc and other small items along the way. :D
Most of my corals had been glued or encrusted. Are they able to pull them up that hard? Or just any loose pieces.
I had a tuxedo urchin. Beautiful purple with blue spots, that were, almost bioluminescent. Looked amazing.

The only cons I've heard are to zoas from time to time. And as stated above, the issue of it picking up companions on it's never ending search for food. Urchins are the true lawnmowers of saltwater.
When you mention Zoas, do you mean eating them, or moving them around?

They can also wedge themselves between rocks and move them if they arent epoxied in some manner.
All of my rock work is cemented together well, so hopefully that wouldn’t be an issue.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my corals had been glued or encrusted. Are they able to pull them up that hard? Or just any loose pieces.

When you mention Zoas, do you mean eating them, or moving them around?

All of my rock work is cemented together well, so hopefully that wouldn’t be an issue.

Both in a sense. Their mouths are not designed great for accuracy. So if they are munching around ur zoas, a few could become victims, by accident. And yes, anything soft that gets impaled on a spine will take a walk with the urchin as it moves on.

If you have nice healthy colonies that wont be destroyed from losing a few polyps ull be fine.

Decorator crabs got nothing on zoa urchins. Hehe

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wanna bet? Lol
IMG_20190106_185349227.jpg

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well something just happened that made my day... I was a lucky winner for one of the $100 Live Aquaria gift certificates from the Site Supporer giveaway :D;Woot

This will be well used when I get home!!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well something just happened that made my day... I was a lucky winner for one of the $100 Live Aquaria gift certificates from the Site Supporer giveaway :D;Woot

This will be well used when I get home!!

Perfect! Congratulations!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back