Dsr power filter vs canister filter?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Question could a canister filter produce the same results as a power filter? Basically it is the same principle, no? It forces water through the media?
Or could we even transform a canister filter in a power filter by put the media around the input of the canister filter?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious - what do you mean by 'power filter' - do you mean a hang on back filter? The answer if so is 'yes' But I think a HOB filter is easier to clean than a canister filter (which to me is a pain in the neck).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above, canister is a pain on a saltwater tank. If your only intention is to run some kind of media, then HOB is cheaper and easier IMO

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canister filter is very good and useful in reef tanks. Mine and multiple others here run canister filters without issue. And cleaning them is as easy as taking out the garbage or cleaning dishes in a sink.
IMG_20211112_143831.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
Question could a canister filter produce the same results as a power filter? Basically it is the same principle, no? It forces water through the media?
Or could we even transform a canister filter in a power filter by put the media around the input of the canister filter?
Now I see what you mean. IMHO - yes you can - you can also do it with any filter ( a hang on the back, etc). If you're going to clean it every 2-3 days. I do this with ,my discus aquaria - with breeding. I put a sponge over the intake of the filter. But - I would not think this is a good 'look' for a display aquarium

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because he's trying to sell you a powerfilter.
Not really. A Glenn Fing power filter is a pvc tube with holes drilled in it wrapped in floss and screwed into your return pump.
I tried one and its just another thing to clean. I prefer filter socks.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn from the drs methods said canister filter will not produce the same results
No it won't come even near.
pure because of the simplicity of the design and the throughput.
This is how it's maintained and applied.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry non I meant the powerfilter from the dsr method.
But a canister is probably less effective as the flow is less strong
The result using a cannister filter won't even come close to this tank. purely running on a "DSRpowerfilter" definition...

This definition is shared to help reefers to be succesfull without having to overequip their tank.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of running a powerfilter on my tank occasionally just to polish the water. I don't like the idea of putting on my return pump, as the increased suction pressure on the pump as the filter clogs scares me.

Probably just slit some PVC and attach it to a powerhead to drop into the tank for 24hrs, then pull it all out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back