Dsuny lighting?

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why put whites/red/green with blue and uv channels. If going to give 4 channels of control. Should be 1. blue channel, 2. Uv channel, 3. white channel, 4. Warm whites, green,red, If arranged as such reefers would be able to get closer to the AB+ spectrum many are hunting for on all types of LEDs. Being forced to add daylight colors when ramping up UV and Blue is not ideal. Many if not most would rather give 100% blue and UV. Then dial in the other to get to the color temperature they prefer.

we have to balance the growth of coral and looks of the tank.
yes, your suggestion is very expert.

your suggestion 1,3 is same as our channel 1 (white) and channel 3 (blue) , the channel 4 is more UV and no green compared with your suggestion. The MAIN defferent is between 2 and channel 2.

Channel 2 is simulate moon in our design. so it lighting the tank during the night, (such as lunar cycle)
if there is only UV , the tank looks too deep blue and a little weird. please look at the real moon lighting , you see there is a little green and warm white. when we design, we ensure there is not TOO WHTIE AND TOO GREEN. the led in Channel 2 is small, which is for best optical uniformity . not deep panatration. IT IS OK

Channel2 aslo work during the day. so the green is no requirment in Channel 4.

when we design the channal 4, our target is full spectrum to make tank looks more colorful.

in a simple words, our ORIGINAL target is AB+ spectrum totally (4 channels) and also consider best simulate nature sun and give buyers a freedome to adjuste the Kelvin it tank looks.

Last edited:

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After launch that version. many expert friends suggest us about white in Channel 2 and blue in Channel 4.
We think we are wrong, because in concept, it is really strange that there is white during the night !
So we replace the white to UV and blue.

Then there is enough UV and blue, but less warm white. so we add warm white too Channel 4.

Now, the only different between your suggest and our finial version is "green in moon channel 2". This is why I think "you are expert ! :) "

Would please do me a favor , what is your advice about the new led layout of shannon40 , attached is link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143408190178

Last edited:

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the link with the 2019 Shannon model, you see that Channel 3 is all blues. Channel 2 is all blues except for 3 greens (520nm)
Got it. Much better imo. Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking at the older post with the scrolling images. Was odd

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ch4 should be "balanced" w/ 3/3 not 4/2 though the impact is minimal but increases uniformity of spread.
why anyone includes like 2 diodes in a widie-sh fixture (not puck style) is beyond me...

Green should be cyan. Possibly more like 12/5 (minimum) than 14/3
cyan wavelength is a bit..err..short..

Personal opinions..

color of "moonlight" is always debatable.. ;)

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand the ongoing discussion of moonlight since this light runs all the channels on a single plug and timer anyway. It doesnt have the moonlight capabilities of a standard 2-cable black box.

Lots of great features otherwise

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand the ongoing discussion of moonlight since this light runs all the channels on a single plug and timer anyway. It doesnt have the moonlight capabilities of a standard 2-cable black box.

Lots of great features otherwise
you don't need external cables to be 4 channel
Lists:

Channels: 4 Channels Adjustable

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I believe it's by design.. at least according to this and also how I remember it..

Why is another story..

Current specs:
Channel 3(11pcs): 1 cool white 14000K, 10 royal blue 450nm
White channel has one blue.. blue has one white..
Ect..

They still use "bridgelux" egg style diode sso it's not a "difficult" swap on ones own though the new boards are much more heavily populated w/ drivers ect..

img_20160823_210947312_hdr-jpg.399674

00%2FMjIyOTEy%2F19%2F04%2F24%2Fb348t0rr4qgaz07x%2FHTB1yY4paizxK1Rjy1zk5jaHrVXaa.gif

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually I believe it's by design.. at least according to this and also how I remember it..

Why is another story..

Current specs:

White channel has one blue.. blue has one white..
Ect..

They still use "bridgelux" egg style diode sso it's not a "difficult" swap on ones own though the new boards are much more heavily populated w/ drivers ect..

img_20160823_210947312_hdr-jpg.399674

00%2FMjIyOTEy%2F19%2F04%2F24%2Fb348t0rr4qgaz07x%2FHTB1yY4paizxK1Rjy1zk5jaHrVXaa.gif

That's a bit of a strange layout, but like you said can be remedied fairly easily. Though I don't know how many would be willing to do it on a new light and void whatever warranty there may be.

Also looking at the board above, it looks like drivers are part of the board. That'd be a pia to replace if it's even possible to do oneself.

DanInMichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the issue in this video been fixed? Or is that working as "intended" to have a 1 white LED on the Royal Blue channel?
From what it looks like, the lights were working as intended for the model that the person who created the video purchased. I don't think the new models contain that layout.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my first dealings w/ them 5 years ago I have yet to understand why they use the diode patterns they do..
Took me some time (well my urging, buyers time) to get them on the same pageg for the below light..

sorry fw I know..and old design..

They always had promise in my mind YET..just couldn't quite "get it"...

Seems we both can be stubborn..

Oh and as far as I can tell.. no failure of it in at least 3 years..

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah seems it was as intended. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have been communicated to the guy in the video. If anything he said is even remotely accurate.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I check is channel layout.. ;)
I've never known them to "hide" it btw.. till sort of now..but that's on a VERY quick scan of current listings..

I do understand the vid posters issue.. I mean if he bought it at wally world, prob would have gone back day one..

Buying direct from china can be problematic..
Fortunately when I or, more likely, a a Chinese vendor screws up it's been little things..
Only had one time that was a complete failure in correcting an issue.
Granted most purchases were small things like 3w diodes that were 1 watt class.. Needless to say they didn't last long..

w/ lights I've never known any to really want them back.

More like "we send you the parts, now you fix it"
Probably would have sent him replacement diodes.. ;)

In the "old days" Orphek wasn't really err "friendly" either..or so I read..

Heck just get a blue marker and draw on the lens.. no guarantee..;)
Or jumper around the diode or remove it all together and add a jumper .. constant current so no biggie..

I know people will say "you shouldn't have to........................."

DSuny had a vid on how to do it.. on the old boards..

la.la.la.la.... they try..

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I've bought several Chinese pucks, and while I can't vouch for the quality of the Leds, they have all worked as advertised and on some, I was actually really surprised by the quality of construction.

As for changing things up, I understand people's reluctance to do so, but for me that's parts of the appeal. I can go in and fix/chnage it myself. For good or for worse.... Lol.

Dekon970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oliver, what lights and how many would you recommend for a 72" tank? Thanks

w.peters72211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2019 Dsuny and there great lights for the money grows SPS great.
No problems with them
I have 3 over my 55 gallon just got them and when turned on I belive it fried alot of my softies. Have since adjusted down but wondering what you came to find as the best lighting schedule and intensities for sps?

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one of these (shannon 40) , used it 6 mos.. . would like to sell it .. $40 if anyone is interested.. everything works..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back