Dsuny Lights...not all that !

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rec'd and hooked up Dsuny shannon 40 for use over my anemone observation tank...First impression is that they are NOT that bright even at 100% setting on all channels..the $60 cheapo light I got on amazon out does these dsuny's any day ...
I see vids on u tube of the dsuny's having real good par numbers ...I don't see how... I have to supplement these with other lighting already..
I guess -what can u expect for $117 bucks ?
anyone have something good to say about these lights ?

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tested with par meter, or is it just your impression? a light that use more white than blue might looks brighter, but they are not the correct spectrum for corals.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Turing 30 over one of my tanks. After looking at the board they are current limiting the output of the lights to half of the LED capacity. The spectrum is ok at best. I remove all the LED's and resolder my own LED spectrum back on. It works much better for corals. They are inexpensive but the PCB's and controller work quite well.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rec'd and hooked up Dsuny shannon 40 for use over my anemone observation tank...First impression is that they are NOT that bright even at 100% setting on all channels..the $60 cheapo light I got on amazon out does these dsuny's any day ...
I see vids on u tube of the dsuny's having real good par numbers ...I don't see how... I have to supplement these with other lighting already..
I guess -what can u expect for $117 bucks ?
anyone have something good to say about these lights ?

Max Power: 100W (Save more 15%)
-Luminum: 4200lm
-PAR: 600PAR

-LEDs Angle: 120°

So wattage is slightly less than a black box.
Beam angle is 120 (more dispersion) bb's is 90

More blue wattage.
dsunyshannon.JPG

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the Turing 30 wavelength layout. As you can see they use a lot of 470nm which IMHO misses the mark especially for fluorescence in corals. That peak is at or about 450nm.

Attachments

• NewLED_Layout.jpg
    NewLED_Layout.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 39

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on what is your plan; fluorescence or growth, they are not optimal at the same wavelength

Very true, however the fluorescence wavelength at 450 is also in the photo-active area for photoreceptors. The below graph also includes bacteriochlorophylls.

Attachments

• BChl_PA_Spectrum.png
    BChl_PA_Spectrum.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 47

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back