DT loop necessity

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I set up my new UV sterilizer and did a closed loop set up, pulled directly from the tank back into the tank. The issue is either having a pump inside my DT or what I chose to do was an in-line pump right next to my tank to pull from the tank. With that method though I have 9 elbows and 8’ of pipe which I calculated to be around 17.5’ head pressure. The issue is I have a eFlux 3150 GPH pump and claims it can produce 2500 GPH with 20’ of HP. So anyone that’s been in this hobby long enough knows with every elbow and foot of pipe you gain around 1’ head pressure. Well my flow meter only shows 634 GPH max flow and I needed between 1800/2100 for bacterial/algae prevention.
so my question to you all is how necessary would you think the close loop system is to be an accurate deed for either bacterial or parasitic prevention or would just tapping into the main feed from the sump then flowing back into the DT which requires obviously less restrictive elbows be equally as effective?
My thought is close loop pulls from the tank back to the tank. The water eventually end up in the sump anyways. So wouldn’t pulling from the sump to the DT work just as effectively, even just over time after turn over?
Sorry for the long post, but I had to make sure I covered most points to make my question easier to decipher lol. Thanks for any help or opinions!

E2980ECD-B3EF-44EA-9D8E-6C9572E2ADB8.jpeg 7947FFD1-8EAE-4E6F-8E44-18DFA25906BE.jpeg

Back