Dual overflow - Which Bulkheads?

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 100g tank with 2 overflows. I got 95% of the plumbing that came with the tank and sump.

It was setup for a bean animal style.

2 holes in the left overflow.
2 holes in the right overflow, 1 being just sealed with a bulkhead and long pvc closed off.

Return was ran on the backside with 4 outlets, don't ask... looks terrible.

My plan was to just do 2 stockman pipes. 1 in each overflow.

Then use a single pump with a T to each overflow for the return.

I plan on using valves for each of the 4 pipes right under the bulkhead for adjustments, then unions so I can take it apart.

Biggest question is should I just use slip-on bulkheads, or buy threaded. I'm more concerned with the returns breaking free with slip-ons but I feel glueing them together would work well. It would make the bulkheads permanent, however I could still clean them monthly where I have unions.

Is this a safe bet to go with slip-ons with glue.

Also would the stockman standpipe restrict too much flow for 100g display? 36g sump.

Thank you.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by "slip on" bulkheads. If you mean slip connection to the pipe - sure, most people use that I think ( I do). The outside should still be threaded with a threaded ring and gasket so it won't be permanent, although you would have to cut the pipe to remove it - in 15yrs hopefully. :)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more concerned with a single return pump... I have dual overflows on my 180 and run dual return pumps as well...

I suspect that a single return pump would have to be extremely large in order to return enough water to make the system run efficiently.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my return pump. Why I'm partially not concerned with the dual returns. 1 return would be almost inline, the farther one would have more of a struggle. There is not to say I cant just do a single return and either block out the 4th bulkhead, or use as another like emergency drain. And also yes slip connection which I'd glue. And I'm not against glueing. As long as I can take it apart on the bottom at the unions. I should be keeping this tank for a long time. Until we build our house in a few years and have built in wall tanks. Even then I'd keep the tank. (Wife is a freshwater junkie) so I dont forsee this tank going anywhere. She'll just take it for herself.
20210808_183428.jpg

20210808_183026.jpg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can realistically say is "try it and see".

As long as you have optimal water transition through the sump, I don't see any particular problems arising from a single return. You may possible have reduced flow through one side but that is easily compensated.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I reread your OP the more I am confused.. bean animal should have 3 drains in each overflow. I am assuming your overflows are not connected in which case if they are and there are 2 drains you actually have 4?

And you state you are going to plumb the return into the overflow?? Return doesn't go back to the overflow bulkheads.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thread which contains pictures of my dual overflow setup... Is this similar to yours?

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each overflow has 2 holes. What they did was made a janky bean setup.

They used 3 holes, 2 in 1 overflow. 1 of the 2 in the other overflow. Put the return on the back side.
20210808_185440.jpg
20210808_185429.jpg
20210808_185424.jpg

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I put my returns in, they connect to the bottom in the bulkhead. Then Ill have a straight pipe from inside the overflow go up, then 90 degree out of the overflow into the display. Instead of going through the back. So yes like yours.

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you have 3 drains One in one overflow and 2 in the other overflow. The 4th has water coming up from the return pump and is hooked to the pvc pipe contraption?

So the issue I see is a bean animal has most of the water going down one drain with just a trickle down the 2nd (1st emergency overflow) and nothing down the 3rd (2nd emergency overflow) With this setup of 2 in one and 1 in the other, only one overflow will be getting most of the surface skimming. The other very little to nothing. If you have to run the setup like this I would put the main drain with gate valve in the overflow with 2 drains. The 2nd drain with no valve in the overflow with the single drain. The 3rd drain with no valve in the overflow with the main drain.

For the drains it doesn't matter if you use the slip inside or the threaded inside. Either way they need to be either glued or sealed on the threads to prevent leaks on the underside. Inside the overflow I like the slip style so pipe can be adjusted in height if needed. Just push it in without glue or anything.

For the return line same thing but slip fittings should be glued and threaded type sealed for connections outside the tank. Inside the tank I like the threaded fittings because they will hold if there is some pressure in the line but can be unscrewed to take apart.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually blocked it with a pvc pipe glueing into the bulkhead but I can take it all off and have 4 holes, 2 in each.

I think the route I'll go is 1 drain, 1 return in each overflow. If must I'll purchase a bigger return pump. I'll have a mechanical adjustment gate valve for each return line after it splits with a T. I can adjust accordingly so I find perfdct harmony.

Now last question would be obviously preference, but I should have the top side of 2 bulkheads for returns as you mentioned have thread so it can't pop off. Put glue the bottom of the bulkhead.

Correct?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would redo the plumbing so that you have it running as designed. each overflow with one drain and 1 return. As stated above, I think it is better to have both overflows draining at the same rate. Also I would replace all of the plastic parts with new as well as the rubber gaskets on the bulkheads. Plastic becomes brittle over time. and Salt accelerates this. While you have the tank dry, get all of your plumbing in order. Replace what you can with new now, rather than wait and hope a slight bump does not cause a major failure later.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 4 bulkheads regardless. I'll order 2 with threads on the topside for returns. I mean I doubt glue would ever come off, but can't hurt. I'm familiar with plumbing, plumbed a lot of my last house from underground, up so. However that was mostly waste water so glue and go.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the idea of a single drain in each overflow just from the safety of having a herbie style with two drains in each in case one is blocked.. but then you need to figure out how to return into the tank outside the overflows. Single drain in each is likely to be noise also and the only way to really quiet it down is to restrict the flow so you are not sucking so much air.. BUT when you do that you are walking a thin line of it clogging just a little and overflowing the tank.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually blocked it with a pvc pipe glueing into the bulkhead but I can take it all off and have 4 holes, 2 in each.

I think the route I'll go is 1 drain, 1 return in each overflow. If must I'll purchase a bigger return pump. I'll have a mechanical adjustment gate valve for each return line after it splits with a T. I can adjust accordingly so I find perfdct harmony.

Now last question would be obviously preference, but I should have the top side of 2 bulkheads for returns as you mentioned have thread so it can't pop off. Put glue the bottom of the bulkhead.

Correct?
The components of the drain and return are not meant to be glued. They should fit nicely "dry" You definitely do not want to glue anything directly to the bulkhead... Those joints where the return pipes and drain pipes should absolutely be left dry!! If you have a blockage in the pipe, it is better to be able to remove the pipe rather than the entire bulkhead.

If you remove the pipe, the water will drain into the sump.. if you have to remove the bulkheads, the water drains all over the inside of the stand.. Make sense?

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can go with an external return. If its best to have 4 drains. 1 main, 1 emergency in each overflow I can. I just know their contraption was terrible.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can go with an external return. If its best to have 4 drains. 1 main, 1 emergency in each overflow I can. I just know their contraption was terrible.

I am not sure the advantage of a backup drain? Perhaps some others will chime in here? My tank has one drain and one return in each of the 2 overflow chambers. That said, this is a FOWLR tank. I have no snails or other things that can climb into the drains and cause blockages.

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fully setup 55. Snails and all. It is all getting transferred to the 100g within a few weeks. Rock and all. I do plan on putting a cover ontop of the overflows but I see the point if having an oh crap moment. Mind you my waterlevel in the return won't be enough to overflow the tank, nor will the display be able to overflow the sump based on water level into the overflow

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.1%
Back