Dual sumps

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the 2 sumps. Just run both returns to the sump underneath the aquarium that contains all of your mechanical filtration and maybe run the water to the second sump which you could make a big volume refuge then return the water to the display. Just a thought.

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I could use flex pvc to go between dumps sense mine would be couple ft apart connected to bulk heads
Think that would work?

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love flex pipes and plexible pvc joined with unions of course. I'm going to do a smaller version of this for my frag tank. Just to have a nice area for a sustained refugium.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work as long as the water is going down hill or at another level below. You may need to reassure with silicone. Make sure you leave room for power off water coming back to the sumps. I think you will benefit from an enlarged refuge.

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked me up another 40 breeder tank yesterday planning on drilling both tanks do you think one bulk head will be enough flow to keep from any water backup into first sump
Will be connected to dual over flows on a 180 that's in the planning stage right now

hartin461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only has the one but is a 120 gal. display tank. It equalizes well and flows fine from one to the other. I shut my pump down each water change and dump from a valve between the sump and pump externally. Takes about 5 minutes and works well.

jkapit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you can do what you would like to do, but would need them connected in some way so the system is balanced from a water level/return standpoint. I use dual sumps but one is for the skimmer and equipment and the other which is downstream is the fuge and have return pumps. I have a 2" union joint between the two tanks and push around 1000 gallons an hour through the sumps.

Here is a pic..

IMG_0623.JPG

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was trying to figure out if I could get good flow with one bulk head
And I guess as long as there joined together I can have drains running into both tanks with it splitting into 2 then possibly valves between 2 to adjust flow

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice still have couple months before the new build so I'll decide witch way I will plumb it before then
I know now it can work

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like in the other thread, I would recommend elevating one sump higher than then the other so water cascades down into the second. You only need to drill one sump in that case. I am definitely not saying it's a horrible idea to drill both and connect them that way, it just increases your risk of leaks/breakage in the future. I just put my second sump on top of a 2x4 platform. Super simple. One drain goes into that one which is just a refugium and it cascades down into the larger sump where the second return enters through the skimmer. The main larger sump then has the returns back to the display.
ECDDFA9F-67CB-4408-824C-81159AD5C573_zpsiycwvbrp.jpg

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 "sumps". First is a small Brute tote that contains my skimmer and receives water from the display overflow, second is fed by part of return flow and grows cheato, both drain into the third large sump with some sand and MarinePure, extra LR, and return pump.
3f83e72653531f596c7ce27fab72ab9c.jpg

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One sump will be under display the other is in a side sump outside display stand the one in side sump is at floor level will have to see how high I can get one of the sumps before I can do that
But does sound better not haveing to drill both tanks

jkapit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was trying to figure out if I could get good flow with one bulk head
And I guess as long as there joined together I can have drains running into both tanks with it splitting into 2 then possibly valves between 2 to adjust flow

Absolutely, my guess would be a 1" or 1.5" union between the sumps would easily handle any difference in flow from the tank above. I have a strainer on mine to make sure it never clogs, but in reality there is no way it would clog since all water is strained in my overflow, then into filter bags then through a large sponge.

Although here is something to think about, if I had to do it all over again, I would have both my returns feed into one of the sumps to be serviced by a single skimmer and also have both returns on the first sump, still having the two sumps tied together I would have a third pump, pump water at the end of the second sump. The water would flow through the refugium as quickly or slowly as I would want back into the return area of the first sump.

Here is a pic of the whole setup complete with Apex and external skimmer. THe left sump is for skimming, GFO, Carbon. THe right sump is a refugium now stocked with Chaeto and runs opposite the DT lights.

IMG_0642.JPG

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0667.JPG
Wish I had that much room I'm limited on space everything is under stand or in a side sump with a external skimmer by that under display is a calcium reactor plus second chamber an co2 tank ; bio pellet reactor and ATO tank

Last edited:

reeffish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3, but they run from one overflow. Water from tank drains into a 40 galllon skimmer sump, which drains into a 75 gal sump, 1 Waveline pump returns water to the display tank (through the chiller). another waveline pump sends water to a 56 gallon live rock tank, the 56 gallon drains into the 75 gallon and the loop continues.

e68ee6994d76de6cdd376fcf9624b121.jpg

Last edited:

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried running dual overflows into two sumps, and had to abandon it because I could never keep them in balance.

I still have both sumps and am pondering using just one overflow box (which has two tubes/outlets)...running one tube from the overflow to one sump, and the other tube to the second sump. Then control the return pumps using ball valves.

The space underneath my tank doesn't allow for one huge sump. Was hoping to have one sump for my equipment, and the other for a huge refugium.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else to consider...

If you're trying to run dual overflows and one is pulling more water than the other, you have a potential nightmare if there's a power outage and all the water flows into the one sump. Invest in some check valves.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back