Duelling Nuvo 10s

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
i have no clue whatsoever :)

pretty scientific huh? :D

J.
Ha! Well,.. at very least you have studied the available information and decided that further studies are required to arrive at a definitive conclusion.

Whiskey

Last edited:

Ltlevil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Be cautious of the Ti probes. I found that I would have to wipe them down ~once a week with alcohol pads to remove the passivation layer or they wouldn't respond. Then I finally (~1 year) had the low level probe leak internally I assume. I would have to remove it, blow it out then wipe it down. This was in an IM20 so coming around the corner to bubbles everywhere got to be a bit old. Last I looked they had discontinued these. When they work, they work great. As far as using these probes on an Apex, I don't know why you couldn't just run them through a BOB like a regular float switch. Makes me think about it, I might use my old ones for safety/HI-HI Level shutoffs.

OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Be cautious of the Ti probes. I found that I would have to wipe them down ~once a week with alcohol pads to remove the passivation layer or they wouldn't respond. Then I finally (~1 year) had the low level probe leak internally I assume. I would have to remove it, blow it out then wipe it down. This was in an IM20 so coming around the corner to bubbles everywhere got to be a bit old. Last I looked they had discontinued these. When they work, they work great. As far as using these probes on an Apex, I don't know why you couldn't just run them through a BOB like a regular float switch. Makes me think about it, I might use my old ones for safety/HI-HI Level shutoffs.
thanks for the heads-up! i will keep an eye on it for sure.
got a scrubbing toothbrush next to the tank :)

however... follow-up question for you.

there have been three versions on the hydrofill, the TI one is the latest generation, and currently still being sold, not discontinued. did you have a problem with one of the older versions? first one had "metal" probes (yeah, i know, titanium is metal too) that's all i could find real quick. the next gen had graphite probes, and this current one is Ti probes.

J.

Last edited:

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
I used Ti probes in my QT tank with my little Arduino board I made. The Ti probes were "custom". I bought Ti Piano wire off Amazon and connected to it using butt connectors. I never had a problem with the probes themselves, and I definitely never cleaned them, but stray current could make the topoff go wonky. That tank is no longer up and I'd imagine your factory made topoff has provisions for that.

Your probably right about the BOB, but I'd be worried about the stray current issue from above.

Whiskey

Legendary Corals
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
i have also ordered two diffusers for the hydra 26hd's
someone lined to them in another thread, and i could not resist :)
3d reefing diffusers installed.
there is still shimmer, but it's slightly reduced.
they don't use a frosted diffuser, and it seems visually that it's just as bright as without.
not adjusting the lights just yet.

the diffuser panel sits in these loosely, so i may experiment a bit and have some frosted ones cut to size. who knows... :)

15695456478870.jpg

J.

OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
the problems you run into when running nano tanks with big boy lights...

i moved my zoa rock from the "QT" tank into one of the nuvo 10's.

the QT tank is a 5 gallon fluval with a Current USA IC loop LED fixture. it's running about 12 hours 100% blue 40% white. 21 watts total power, with 36 LEDs, so, relatively low power output, and running at about 60% capacity?

the following two pictures were Day two after adding it to the Nuvo with hydra26HD running low power settings.
the second picture is one week later.

the zoas are starting to hug the rock closer, and the tentacles are getting shorter.

i'm going to let this run a few weeks longer, and start cutting the power back and see what happens.

15711011940760.jpg

15711011941121.jpg

my current light schedule... peak intensity from 11am till 5pm, 3 hour ramp up/down, moonlights on till midnight.
mounted 6 inched above the water surface.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 6.12.25 PM.png

J.

Rate your current reefing satisfaction level! (CLICK HERE)

• Very satisfied

Votes: 172 45.3%
  • Just satisfied

Votes: 94 24.7%
  • Somewhat satsified

Votes: 81 21.3%
  • Not satisfied

Votes: 33 8.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors