Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no clue whatsoever :)

pretty scientific huh? :D

J.

Ha! Well,.. at very least you have studied the available information and decided that further studies are required to arrive at a definitive conclusion.

Whiskey

Last edited:

Ltlevil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be cautious of the Ti probes. I found that I would have to wipe them down ~once a week with alcohol pads to remove the passivation layer or they wouldn't respond. Then I finally (~1 year) had the low level probe leak internally I assume. I would have to remove it, blow it out then wipe it down. This was in an IM20 so coming around the corner to bubbles everywhere got to be a bit old. Last I looked they had discontinued these. When they work, they work great. As far as using these probes on an Apex, I don't know why you couldn't just run them through a BOB like a regular float switch. Makes me think about it, I might use my old ones for safety/HI-HI Level shutoffs.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be cautious of the Ti probes. I found that I would have to wipe them down ~once a week with alcohol pads to remove the passivation layer or they wouldn't respond. Then I finally (~1 year) had the low level probe leak internally I assume. I would have to remove it, blow it out then wipe it down. This was in an IM20 so coming around the corner to bubbles everywhere got to be a bit old. Last I looked they had discontinued these. When they work, they work great. As far as using these probes on an Apex, I don't know why you couldn't just run them through a BOB like a regular float switch. Makes me think about it, I might use my old ones for safety/HI-HI Level shutoffs.

thanks for the heads-up! i will keep an eye on it for sure.
got a scrubbing toothbrush next to the tank :)

however... follow-up question for you.

there have been three versions on the hydrofill, the TI one is the latest generation, and currently still being sold, not discontinued. did you have a problem with one of the older versions? first one had "metal" probes (yeah, i know, titanium is metal too) that's all i could find real quick. the next gen had graphite probes, and this current one is Ti probes.

J.

Last edited:

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Ti probes in my QT tank with my little Arduino board I made. The Ti probes were "custom". I bought Ti Piano wire off Amazon and connected to it using butt connectors. I never had a problem with the probes themselves, and I definitely never cleaned them, but stray current could make the topoff go wonky. That tank is no longer up and I'd imagine your factory made topoff has provisions for that.

Your probably right about the BOB, but I'd be worried about the stray current issue from above.

Whiskey

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have also ordered two diffusers for the hydra 26hd's
someone lined to them in another thread, and i could not resist :)

3d reefing diffusers installed.
there is still shimmer, but it's slightly reduced.
they don't use a frosted diffuser, and it seems visually that it's just as bright as without.
not adjusting the lights just yet.

the diffuser panel sits in these loosely, so i may experiment a bit and have some frosted ones cut to size. who knows... :)

15695456478870.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problems you run into when running nano tanks with big boy lights...

i moved my zoa rock from the "QT" tank into one of the nuvo 10's.

the QT tank is a 5 gallon fluval with a Current USA IC loop LED fixture. it's running about 12 hours 100% blue 40% white. 21 watts total power, with 36 LEDs, so, relatively low power output, and running at about 60% capacity?

the following two pictures were Day two after adding it to the Nuvo with hydra26HD running low power settings.
the second picture is one week later.

the zoas are starting to hug the rock closer, and the tentacles are getting shorter.

i'm going to let this run a few weeks longer, and start cutting the power back and see what happens.

15711011940760.jpg

15711011941121.jpg

my current light schedule... peak intensity from 11am till 5pm, 3 hour ramp up/down, moonlights on till midnight.
mounted 6 inched above the water surface.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 6.12.25 PM.png

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
visit to LFS today.

picked up the following

2 cerith snails
2 trochus snails
so now there are two ceriths one one trochus in each tank.

a pompom crab... that went hiding in the rocks already...

a couple frags... sorry no pictures yet, they are still ticked off from the trip, and their new home.

i put the lights in 2 week 50% acclimation mode. hope i don't bleach anything this time.

SPS
- some kind of acropora millepora, detecting hints of green, yellow and red, with a whole ot of brow. have high hopes for this one.
- green slimer
- some sort of metallic birdsnest
- montipora digitata

LPS
- 2 brown/gold/orange? torch one with green tips, one with purple tips. small single head frags.

Zoas
- unknown bright colored single polyp, waiting for it to open up.
- blu-ish with green skirt zoas. multi polyp frag

and a new mate for my black darwin clown!
- a small tank raised misbar.

15715266499710.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite the haul!! I look forward to pics when they open up.

all of them are not looking their greatest yet, but somewhat presentable :)

maybe a good time to say a little about how i take pictures... i've been too lazy to grab the DSLR lately, so i use my cellphone. hold an orange filter in front of the lens.

crop the image to frame the subject nicely
using the built in image editor in the phone i do the following:
- boost the exposure (pics always come out too dark)
- decrease whites
- boost highlights
- decrease shadows
- boost blacks

it looks relatively close to how my eyes see the tank, apart from the two that look a bit fin/purple, the whitebalance got screwed up there.

15716037990590.jpg

15716038240011.jpg

15716038462992.jpg

15716038618823.jpg

15716038865054.jpg

15716039196885.jpg

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, the milli looks rough, but i liked the colors, at it was only $10 :)

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started using an app called aquarium note to keep track of my test results.
only been testing one of the tanks so far. at one point i need to start testing both :)

since i started tracking...

water change every two weeks.

i dosed a little bit of calcium last week, waiting for the ALK to come down a bit before i start a balanced dosing schedule. not sure why it's going up though :)

dosing NaNO3 to keep nitrates up.
dosing brightwell amino acids, just a drop every now and then.

feeding a mix of various dry foods using an IM gourmet grinder
and frozen baby brine and pods every now and then.

i should probably send in a triton test, now that things are starting to look like it's able to sustain life :)

Screenshot_20191020-135529~2-576x428.png

Screenshot_20191020-135536~2-576x430.png

Screenshot_20191020-135550~2-576x434.png

Screenshot_20191020-135542~2-576x430.png

Screenshot_20191020-135529~2-576x428.png

J.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so... since we're on day two of 50% light acclimation, and after two days, nothing has bleached or RTN'ed, i moved the SPS to what i think should be their final spot (no i did not glue them yet)

i moved the fast growers towards the back, the green slimer to the little ledge on the left, slightly higher than mid level. and the digitata to the ledge on the right, around mid level. that should make the back fill in nicely. (fingers crossed!)

the millepora got the nice left of center spot. slightly below mid level.

this leaves me with one more prime realestate spot for one more "slower" growing SPS. i'm thinking some kinf of "shortcake" but... who knows :)

i'm keeping the birdsnest on the bottom in the center, in front of the rock, easy to take out and trim when needed.

i'm still not sure if i should put something on the very top of the rock.
it's only 2.5 inches under the surface.

and yes, for flow i have two koralia nano 565 in there right now.
one of these days i'll put my mp-10 in it as well, it needs more flow.

and... double yes, the nice white new rock is starting to grow all kinds of uglyness :)

15717072540820.jpg

J.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the millepora got the nice left of center spot. slightly below mid level.

turns out the Millepora was not a millepora.
and... after looking good for 5 days in the tank, decided to RTN overnight. dead on thursday morning.

everything else still doing OK.

J.

Last edited:

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks you lost the Lillepora! The rest of them look great though. Good luck getting them settled in.

Whiskey

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... the plot thickens... :(

i've got eggs!

J.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dosed a little bit of calcium last week, waiting for the ALK to come down a bit before i start a balanced dosing schedule. not sure why it's going up though :)

since about a month ago, my ALK keeps going up, rather than down... i'm puzzled.
anyone have any theories what may be happening?

15722342658640.jpg

J.

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... the plot thickens... :(

i've got eggs!

J.

Oh no,... I'm not an expert, but those look like AEFW eggs :( Have you heard about the Bayer treatment?

Whiskey

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%

Back