Dulling fish colours - anthias

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shoal of Evansi anthias for the last couple of years or so and they’ve gradually lost their vibrant colours. Any idea why and what I can do to get the colours back?

they eat mysis and are generally healthy, fed a minimum of 3 times a day, I try and avoid feeding pellets to avoid issues with phosphates.

There’s no other particularly aggressive fish in the tank, I can’t tell the sexes apart with these like you can Bartletts and generally a bit lost on how to add their vibrant colour back.

(I have seven in one shoal from the original 10 I added and I’ve just added a further 5. Tank is a reefer 425 somplenty big enough.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need a varied diet, and I would very much recommend feeding some sort of pellets. The best ones I have found for color and general health are TDO chroma boost pellets. Also New Life Spectrum pellets are a great brand. I feed pellets at all 3 of my feedings daily and dont have any issues with phosphates.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need a varied diet, and I would very much recommend feeding some sort of pellets. The best ones I have found for color and general health are TDO chroma boost pellets. Also New Life Spectrum pellets are a great brand. I feed pellets at all 3 of my feedings daily and dont have any issues with phosphates.

Loss of color comes from several sources. One is fish that are bullied will get dull. But yours are active and eating well, so that isn’t it.

So I agree with the above, the diet is lacking. You can do a more varied diet. There are frozen foods that have a mix of stuff. Or a good pellet mix would be good also. It is easy enough to give it a try.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loss of color comes from several sources. One is fish that are bullied will get dull. But yours are active and eating well, so that isn’t it.

So I agree with the above, the diet is lacking. You can do a more varied diet. There are frozen foods that have a mix of stuff. Or a good pellet mix would be good also. It is easy enough to give it a try.
I would incorporate some LRS frozen food and some pellets, should see a difference in a few months.

OP
OP
brucey

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
Good shout with the pellets.
thanks chaps
perhaps I’ve just gone over board when I’ve fed them before.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back