Dumped thousands of pellets in my tank

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be an issue in a 4 yr old tank. Extra nutrients but shouldn't cause ammonia issues. The worms are going to eat good tonight!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what AFS stands for but the last pic looks' like food pellets? If so I wouldn't worry just don't feed for a few days. And never open anything while being held above the water but I'm sure you know that now :winking-face:
AFS = Apex Auto Feeder.

I've dropped in a ton of pellets when reloading my feeder too... I just beef up on water changes if needed. Otherwise, fine dining for the cuc.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had that happen before with an Amazon cheap auto feeder. Dumped the whole Canister in while I was out of town. Had a nitrate spike and a little algae, but by in large little harm done. If you got as much as you could, the fish and cuc will get the rest. Thats not that much food for a one time oopsie, so you're most likely fine.

OP
OP
ZombieEngineer

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFS = Apex Auto Feeder.

I've dropped in a ton of pellets when reloading my feeder too... I just beef up on water changes if needed. Otherwise, fine dining for the cuc.
I should have known better. I have been warning people on Neptune Forums to always turn the AFS on when changing it for years, but got in a hurry. Should have followed my own advice.

Always turn the afs on and grab from the body instead of the lid.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya idk why they even still sell them. they really need an update
I sold mine to another reefer for what I paid for it, 60$. Original owner was going batty about the noise from it when it rotates. I thought the feeder would be more integrated with the apex classic and I was wrong! I use the cheap amazon wifi feeder on all 3 tanks, pellets only. I got 4 feeders for 80 bucks and all 3 originals are doing fine, lol. The 4th was a spare.

OP
OP
ZombieEngineer

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Tank is a bit cloudy but no fish gasping for air. Ammonia was also undetectable every test I performed.

I was able to get a bunch more out with a 10 gallon water change, vaccuming as much as I could, so I'm sure that helped.

Definitely lots of nutrients in the tank. Haven't tested nitrate and phosphate yet, but I got about 1-2 weeks worth of film algae on the glass

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have known better. I have been warning people on Neptune Forums to always turn the AFS on when changing it for years, but got in a hurry. Should have followed my own advice.

Always turn the afs on and grab from the body instead of the lid.
Wow thanks for this advice I just learned something and yes I have had this happen to me aswell. But got most out with net and Siphon

lish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dropped a load of food as well i just siphoned as much as i can hopefully it will be okay scared now there’s still some left hopefully my cory will eat some of it up

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ZombieEngineer

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dropped a load of food as well i just siphoned as much as i can hopefully it will be okay scared now there’s still some left hopefully my cory will eat some of it up
Mine tank ended up being 100% fine so that will give you some hope that you might be just fine.

Definitely keep an eye on it though. My tank is extremely mature, so my bacteria was easily able to ramp up production and keep ammonia from spiking and if you have a young tank, you could potentially lose some ammonia sensitive creatures.

Something I realized long after my tank was fine was that I could have grabbed a bottle of Microbacter7, dr Tim's, turbostart, etc to ensure to force a ramp in nitrifying bacteria and keep ammonia from spiking. Might be worthwhile to try if your tank isn't mature yet.

OP
OP
ZombieEngineer

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues will arise from this imo
None did and I attribute this to quickly siphoning most out immediately and my tank being very mature so the bacteria had no problem ramping quickly.

Before I made this post, there were however several people who made the exact same mistake (some cases it was a kid dumping and they did get most out quickly) and their entire tanks crashed. The common thread was they all either had tanks under 6 months old or didn't notice the problem until long after the food was dumped in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back