Duncan all closed up

heyyitsbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Duncan more than two weeks ago and it was doing great until I went on vacation, when I can back it was closed up but opened up more later, although it is still pretty closed up. My flow is the farthest I can put it and the leds may be to bright for it but I doubt it, I am testing my water today. Please help.

6BFDFB41-D209-442D-8B48-C9E1164AC7F5.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans can not be evaluated like most corals based on polyp shape and extension.

to evaluate your Duncan use these two modes:
1. Is any tissue along the calice of the coral pulling up / declining like receding gums and revealing white skeletal material along the polyp? If not, disregard what the Duncan is doing currently it’ll decide to be happy in a week typically.

2. evaluate all other corals
if well, and no recession at base on Duncan, it’s just doing what they do.

if it’s color gets any lighter then direct feed it more and or move it down out of bright white lighting, this can irritate for sure but if other corals seem ok with it this one will adapt too. The light is very white and not blue above, if my kessil gets turned to the 10K setting my brain coral will bleach in a month but set to total blue, perfection.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes corals just close up. If something bothers it or it needs to excrete waste it will do this. If it goes completely back to normal, don't sweat it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the dip is the entire problem here.

we always evaluate duncans by looking at the other corals and then by making sure no basal tissue loss on the polyp. Those two factors in place, dip not.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has gotten a little better and has opened up a little more, may move it though.
If it is looking better, give it time. Moving it may make it mad again. Duncans are pretty hardy. Mine sits in 220 PAR and moderate+ flow.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans are great tell corals especially for beginners, they close up over changes. Duncans are also very hardy and adaptable so they can thrive in pretty much any condition, lighting, and flow. My duncans are in pretty high light 250ish par and pretty high flow. The high flow makes them very shaggy with long tentacles. Anytime I notice the tentacles shrink up at all or they close I know its time to test. The dont mind slow changes but any rapid change will cause them to close up some. When I was starting out in the hobby 5ish years ago mine would close up fairly often as I was learning how to keep things stable. I have had the same colony my entire time in the hobby (fragged many times) but never killed any heads other then ones that got completely shaded out. There were several times early on that they would close for weeks. Keep things stable and they will adapt and open back up.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans can not be evaluated like most corals based on polyp shape and extension.

to evaluate your Duncan use these two modes:
1. Is any tissue along the calice of the coral pulling up / declining like receding gums and revealing white skeletal material along the polyp? If not, disregard what the Duncan is doing currently it’ll decide to be happy in a week typically.

2. evaluate all other corals
if well, and no recession at base on Duncan, it’s just doing what they do.

if it’s color gets any lighter then direct feed it more and or move it down out of bright white lighting, this can irritate for sure but if other corals seem ok with it this one will adapt too. The light is very white and not blue above, if my kessil gets turned to the 10K setting my brain coral will bleach in a month but set to total blue, perfection.
So I've had some tissue recession in mine I've monitored over the last couple months. Parameters have been pretty stable and the only thing I can think of might be lighting and flow (I was messing with those for some algae outbreaks early spring, dumb I know)

Could these issues cause recession and show skeletal structure? I'll take new pictures tomorrow. These are from almost 2 months ago and recession has now cut off that small head in the front and doubled along the thin area on the right side of the images.

The coral gets hit with flow from this right side and it's about midway up in the tank, may move it to the sand and turn it around...

Attachments

• 20210420_191143.jpg
    20210420_191143.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210420_191131.jpg
    20210420_191131.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 56

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nice progression shot there. I noticed the greater polyps still don’t show septa sticking out or anything so it seems the bulk of the colony is fine, agreed I’m stumped on that smaller portion receding perhaps it’s just shaded there vs the larger area agreed try and relocate + spot feed them occasionally let’s check back to see if that helps. Good link here we can use this for others Duncan concerns for them to watch for changes

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nice progression shot there. I noticed the greater polyps still don’t show septa sticking out or anything so it seems the bulk of the colony is fine, agreed I’m stumped on that smaller portion receding perhaps it’s just shaded there vs the larger area agreed try and relocate + spot feed them occasionally let’s check back to see if that helps. Good link here we can use this for others Duncan concerns for them to watch for changes
Here's a picture I took today, a video to try to show flow and where I want to move it to.

You can tell there's A LOT of recession in the last 2 months. I'm hoping it's not too late.

20210615_190510.jpg
20210615_190636.jpg

Attachments

• 20210615_190607.mp4
    19.7 MB
  • 20210615_190725.mp4
    54.2 MB

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shading from bigger polyp extension looks likely and I thing it’ll respond to more directed feedings with better mass in two mos

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back