Duncan coral health decline

amahairas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single head of Duncan coral in my tank. Also have a large head of a torch, GSP, and 2 different mushroom. The duncan has been in the tank for nearly a month and has done well up until the last few days. Ive had to move him around a bit but he's been in his current spot for about a week now and he opens less and less each day. All other corals in the tank are doing well so I'm really confused as to what could be causing this. My main concern is that it could impact the other coral, but no one else is showing signs of distress.

75g tank
4 bulb t5 fixture 12 hours of light, just lowered to 10 to help slow some algae down, may go lower
ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - ~0
kH - ~8 (started raising it today towards 9)
Calc - ~410

There is some algae in the tank but nothing around him that would be bothering him.

IMG_4356.jpg

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a PH and phosphate reading?
I would consider raising your nitrates. I had similar problems in my tank and raising nitrates helped tremendously. (I also add phosphates but not sure what your level is)

OP
OP
A

amahairas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a PH and phosphate reading?
I would consider raising your nitrates. I had similar problems in my tank and raising nitrates helped tremendously. (I also add phosphates but not sure what your level is)
Haven’t tested pH but phosphate is 0.25. Ive been trying to bump my nitrates up by dirty feeding the tank. It’s only been running for about 2-3 months

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is high I’d try to lower that. Takes time to get a tank stable and know what it needs to thrive they are all a little different. Try to make small changes.
good luck
John

CMGohio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Duncan that's closed too. But I shine my uv light on it and it has all kinds of glow too it. When a coral dies, doesn't that glow go away? It's 4 main heads and has about 10 smaller ones forming. It's a shame cuz it was my favorite coral....

OP
OP
A

amahairas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has pretty much fully recovered. I just left it alone and kept my parameters as stable as possible. My kh had dropped a little so I brought back up and it seems to be doing a lot better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back