Duncan Coral vs Blue Leg Hermit

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.....
I've have a few Duncan corals in my 90-gallon tank, along with 8 Blue Leg Hermits. Both have been in the tank for about 3 years, today I see one of the Hermit Crabs in the middle of several Duncan heads. I hadn't feed anything yet today, saw this first thing when I checked the tank this morning.
I've never witnessed one of the crabs do this, even when feeding.
Who wins the confrontation, not much movement from the Blue Leg Hermit in the last hour or two.
Anyone else have a similar experience?
Thanks...
Ed
IMG_2203.jpg

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blue hermit is still sitting there on the Duncan, one or two heads just closed up. It's been almost 12 hours since I first saw the hermit in the coral.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blue hermit is still sitting there on the Duncan, one or two heads just closed up. It's been almost 12 hours since I first saw the hermit in the coral.

its not unusual for hermits to climb to a perch and remain motionless for extend amounts of time after molting, I presume they are giving their fresh exoskeleton time to harden. I would move it to a safe location off the coral

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not unusual for hermits to climb to a perch and remain motionless for extend amounts of time after molting, I presume they are giving their fresh exoskeleton time to harden. I would move it to a safe location off the coral
[/QUOT

Everything is back to normal today, Duncan coral is fine and all my blue leg hermits are too.
Happy Thanksgiving to all...........

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back