Durso help

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I built a durso standpipe that doesnt seem to flow properly. I'm thinking the problem is that it's just a bit too high in my overflow area. My return line is running around d 200 gph and if I open up the ball valve any more it just drains the return chamber because the durso doesnt keep up. Also the flushing and noise was quite loud. I turned the 90 on the downpipe slightly and that seemed to help both noise and flow. Let me know your thoughts

20200404_202405.jpg 20200404_202358.jpg 20200404_202337.jpg

OP
OP
JBulk09

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the pipe goes about an inch under the water in the filter sock. And I used 1 inch pipe the entire way to the bulkhead, I did read that some people upsize to 1.25 and then size it down right before the bulkhead

dcfdgaloot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's "flushing" it's starting to siphon. That means you need more air or less water flow through pipe. You'll need to experiment a bit to find the sweet spot.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying you have a valve on your overflow pipe?

OP
OP
JBulk09

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have a valve on my return pipe to dial it back as needed. I'm just going to have to add another powerhead and keep my turnover through the sump on the low side

OP
OP
JBulk09

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to run any pipes over the back and my glass is tempered or else I would have drilled another hole

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dursos work great if they're set up properly - the problem is most people have no idea how they're actually supposed to work. Beananimal is just a siphon and a durso.

What you have set up isn't a durso. The elbow on the standpipe needs to be turned down - not to the side like that - right now you just have a second overflow and its sucking in a ton of air, gulping, and then vapor locking, starting a siphon, breaking it, etc.

How big is the bulkhead? With a durso you essentially need to either have a big enough standpipe and small enough bulkhead/drain that everything below the bulkhead stays full of water (and you're not pushing air through the pipe). You want the bulkhead to have water above it in the standpipe.

Or you need a big enough bulkhead/drain (and unsubmerged exit) that water 'sheets' down the pipe and doesn't glug. This is hard to do - because you either need to be moving very little water, or have huge pipes.

BeanAnimal gets around this by moving most of the water via siphon, and then using the 2nd method on whatever is left - but its still fundamentally a durso design.

One of the ways you can play around with this is to put an airline valve in that piece of airhose you've got - and try playing around with the amount of air you're introducing. You may be allowing too much.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I built a durso standpipe that doesnt seem to flow properly. I'm thinking the problem is that it's just a bit too high in my overflow area. My return line is running around d 200 gph and if I open up the ball valve any more it just drains the return chamber because the durso doesnt keep up. Also the flushing and noise was quite loud. I turned the 90 on the downpipe slightly and that seemed to help both noise and flow. Let me know your thoughts

20200404_202405.jpg 20200404_202358.jpg
20200404_202337.jpg
This is the one in my fresh water the elbow points down and the water roughly covers half the radius of the tube hope this helps

IMG_20200406_174706.jpg

OP
OP
JBulk09

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dursos work great if they're set up properly - the problem is most people have no idea how they're actually supposed to work. Beananimal is just a siphon and a durso.

What you have set up isn't a durso. The elbow on the standpipe needs to be turned down - not to the side like that - right now you just have a second overflow and its sucking in a ton of air, gulping, and then vapor locking, starting a siphon, breaking it, etc.

How big is the bulkhead? With a durso you essentially need to either have a big enough standpipe and small enough bulkhead/drain that everything below the bulkhead stays full of water (and you're not pushing air through the pipe). You want the bulkhead to have water above it in the standpipe.

Or you need a big enough bulkhead/drain (and unsubmerged exit) that water 'sheets' down the pipe and doesn't glug. This is hard to do - because you either need to be moving very little water, or have huge pipes.

BeanAnimal gets around this by moving most of the water via siphon, and then using the 2nd method on whatever is left - but its still fundamentally a durso design.

One of the ways you can play around with this is to put an airline valve in that piece of airhose you've got - and try playing around with the amount of air you're introducing. You may be allowing too much.
My pipe is 1 inch the entire way. Do you think I should try to cut it down low and put a 1.25 adapter and make the pipe larger? The hard part is that its glued I to the bulkhead, wishing i did a threaded one right now.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pipe is 1 inch the entire way. Do you think I should try to cut it down low and put a 1.25 adapter and make the pipe larger? The hard part is that its glued I to the bulkhead, wishing i did a threaded one right now.
Mine is 1.1/4 all the way I had some trouble at first I had to move it up and down to get sweet spot I also had to put 2 elbows on the bottom to slow the flow a bit because it was gushing down and making lots of noise and that really quietened it down

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the bottom of mine just having the u shape with the 2 elbows made loads of difference to flow

IMG_20200406_185608.jpg

OP
OP
JBulk09

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll have to play with it some more. I have some spare elbows so I'll have to see if I can put the U on and see if that helps any

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll have to play with it some more. I have some spare elbows so I'll have to see if I can put the U on and see if that helps any
Also Make sure you turn that top one pointing down as mentioned previously by 92miata thats really important

OP
OP
JBulk09

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Make sure you turn that top one pointing down as mentioned previously by 92miata thats really important
Yeah I just have it that way right now because it is significantly quieter until I can figure out the real problem. However it is actually working quite well the way I have it right now. I have the elbow turned so that just a little extra air gets in the pipe. I'm not sure why but when I use a bigger hole in the cap vs. the turned 90 it's just much noisier

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just have it that way right now because it is significantly quieter until I can figure out the real problem. However it is actually working quite well the way I have it right now. I have the elbow turned so that just a little extra air gets in the pipe. I'm not sure why but when I use a bigger hole in the cap vs. the turned 90 it's just much noisier
OK good luck maybe put small valve in your cap mine took a fair bit of moving around to get noise sorted

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon tank? I had one for freshwater durso, and i have one for my new build. My freshwater tank was silent. The top cap had a line of airline to help dissipate the sound, but if its aqueon, the bulkheads should be i believe one inch drain, 3/4 inch return.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A bean animal doesn’t need to use a durso. The two designs are not even close to each other. A bean animal uses a full siphon so it is dead silent. It also has an emergency drain and a secondary drain where as your durso has nothing if it plugs get ready for the flood. It doesn’t even give you a warning that it’s plugged. Comparing the two is a joke.
A durso is one of the worst options besides a HOB overflow. There is a reason people move away from a durso design.

6E752486-6D59-4267-A24A-1E683881CE5C.jpeg A898377E-1339-4221-9F77-07E6F22F70EF.jpeg 00D3495A-4384-49D4-A126-CAC7E3977F16.jpeg

Last edited:
Back