Durso pipe noise

stainesaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon PNP system. I have a durso overflow which continues to make an annoying sucking noise where the air vent is. I believe the reason is that the water level Is equal to the air vent, causing the water to making a sucking noise into the air vent. Any idea how to fix this or how I would lower the the water level in my overflow. Keep in mind I have no valves in my sump. Attached is a video of the sound the durso pipe is making. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5450.MOV
    29.7 MB
OP
OP
S

stainesaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not, I will probably need to make the air vent a bit bigger. I don’t even think a tube would fit in there right now. Would I be able to convert the durso into a Herbie style drain?

OP
OP
S

stainesaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't view the video but have you tried sticking some airline tubing into the "air vent"? Might quiet it down a tad.
Best option, do a Herbie style drain and ditch the durso .
Also do you think it’s possible my bulkhead strainer needs to changed? I’ve had the tank for 5 years and have never changed the strainer. The reason being because it’s nearly impossible to get to. Very little room in my overflow.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed 3/8 tubing and adjustable valves on my durso pipes which greatly reduced the noise. I run the long strainers that Richard Durso uses on his standpipes. Less likely to clog.

20201115_115244.jpg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those need to be cleaned. I would replace them with these.

strainer-125-side_1080x.png
If anyone is looking for these locally, they are referred to as "well screens" at hardware and plumbing stores.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a difficult time removing it. To start I can barely fit my hand in my overflow.
You're getting noise because you're running too much flow through the pipe. The water level on a durso should be in the middle of the elbow. Looks like your water level is covering the entire elbow.

To remove it, you'll likely have to remove your return lines from what I can see in the video.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this needs to be cleaned regularly.
So I assume you have 1 drains? One with the durso top and the other with this screen? If so, you could convert to a Herbie design and have 1 full siphon drain and 1 emergency/trickle drain... Neither of which needs a durso top. Done correctly, this system is 100% silent.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air must go down the pipe along with the water on any single drain system. That’s why you have noise. A Maggie muffler or diy stockman standpipe is about as quiet as you will achieve. Lowering the gph your return pump is pumping may help too

OP
OP
S

stainesaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting noise because you're running too much flow through the pipe. The water level on a durso should be in the middle of the elbow. Looks like your water level is covering the entire elbow.

To remove it, you'll likely have to remove your return lines from what I can see in the video.
Ok thank you, what would you recommend the best way to lower my flow? Putting a valve on the output into my sump?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you, what would you recommend the best way to lower my flow? Putting a valve on the output into my sump?
No. That would be a flood risk for a Durso setup without an emergency drain. Throttle back your returns with a valve off the pump or on each return line.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the water level in the overflow can't really be lowered, you'll need to make the durso pipe taller.
(I still recommend ditching the durso altogether and using a full siphon plus emergency/trickle drain - aka "Herbie")
Can’t see the video but the way I see it only way to make the water in overflow lower is slowing the flow from return pump. Making the pipe taller won’t do anything for noise, unless the noise you’re getting is splashing noise from water falling lower into overflow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back