Durso vs. Herbie

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
1612059776541.png

This graphs is completely wrong and does not show full-siphon situation. Further, with more of a siphon drop in feet the flow is drastically increased.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This graphs is completely wrong and does not show full-siphon situation. Further, with more of a siphon drop in feet the flow is drastically increased.
I didn't write it, only linked it.
I stand by my initial post of using a 1" bulkhead sized up to a 2" pipe for a remote sump in my situation of drains running 4 feet

OP
OP
cmalley

cmalley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 4 holes in 1 overflow then I would use 3 of them for a bean animal and use 1 for
EDIT
I went from 1" to 2". 2" because my sump is remote.
1" to 1-1/2" will suffice for a sump under the DT
Do you think a Herbie would be sufficient in this case? My sump is directly under the DT. I would have a 1” siphon, a 1” backup, and two 3/4” returns.

OP
OP
cmalley

cmalley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ cmalley
Your bigger holes are 1” bulkhead, your smaller holes are 3/4. That’s for schedule 40 (thickness) bulkheads.
You can get 1600 gph safely and quietly down your two 1” drains, combined.
You should shoot for 3-5x display tank volume per hour turnover, so you’re good.
Also think you only need one return, maybe use the other one fir emergency . Could also drill one of the small holes bigger for a typical bean animal
Nice set up, keep the pics coming
@ cmalley
Your bigger holes are 1” bulkhead, your smaller holes are 3/4. That’s for schedule 40 (thickness) bulkheads.
You should shoot for 3-5x display tank volume per hour turnover, so you’re good.
Also think you only need one return, maybe use the other one fir emergency . Could also drill one of the small holes bigger for a typical bean animal
Nice set up, keep the pics comingso you think a Herbie would be sufficient in this case? My sump is directly under the DT. I would have a 1” siphon, a 1” backup, and two 3/4” returns.
@ cmalley
Nice set up, keep the pics coming
So you think you think it would be safe for me to do a Herbie drain in this case? My sump is directly under the DT. I would have a 1” siphon, a 1” backup, and two 3/4” returns.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think you think it would be safe for me to do a Herbie drain in this case? My sump is directly under the DT. I would have a 1” siphon, a 1” backup, and two 3/4” returns.
Sure. You could do one return, 3 drains too

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a Herbie would be sufficient in this case? My sump is directly under the DT. I would have a 1” siphon, a 1” backup, and two 3/4” returns.
Without flow #s to back it up, I'll recommend you upsize after the bulkheads. It's just a one time cost. If it were me, I'd go with 1-1/2" as I'm confident that would flow enough to a sump under the DT. If you go remote I'd go 2".
You'll potentially be asking your drain to flow 1500gph give or take through just one pipe. If at some point it loses suction you're back to the gravity flow ability of it. There's potential for flooding at this point.
If you plumb it all 1" and need to restrict your return pump because the drain can't keep up, you're stuck with it without replumbing.

Maybe one of these other responders can confirm their gph and drain pipe size.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can use all your holes for drains - whatever config you can dream off and just plumb your return over the edge if you have enough space between tank and wall.

OP
OP
cmalley

cmalley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. You could do one return, 3 drains too
Ok thank you. Which one do you think would provide more flow?
Without flow #s to back it up, I'll recommend you upsize after the bulkheads. It's just a one time cost. If it were me, I'd go with 1-1/2" as I'm confident that would flow enough to a sump under the DT. If you go remote I'd go 2".
You'll potentially be asking your drain to flow 1500gph give or take through just one pipe. If at some point it loses suction you're back to the gravity flow ability of it. There's potential for flooding at this point.
If you plumb it all 1" and need to restrict your return pump because the drain can't keep up, you're stuck with it without replumbing.

Maybe one of these other responders can confirm their gph and drain pipe size.
yes I agree. Should I make one of the 3/4” returns a 2nd emergency drain and just have a single 3/4” return? I’d love to hear some real gph numbers from anyone with a 1” Herbie
You can use all your holes for drains - whatever config you can dream off and just plumb your return over the edge if you have enough space between tank and wall.
I have a dedicated filtration room behind the tank so I have plenty of room. I was just hoping for everything to be nice and neat on this build. Worst cas scenario is I do exactly what you mentioned. I’ll either go with 2 Herbie setups or a bean animal with two 3/4” emergency backups. First I’m going to try one Herbie drain with two 3/4” returns and see how it goes.

Attachments

• 7C440535-7FEA-442A-AFB8-76B5175BAE84.jpeg
    7C440535-7FEA-442A-AFB8-76B5175BAE84.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 7DF3DD56-9B01-4F09-AC98-30F4ED661F46.jpeg
    7DF3DD56-9B01-4F09-AC98-30F4ED661F46.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 40

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions needed:
Recently purchased a 300 gallon Planet aquarium. I had them drill 2- 1 3/4” drains and 2- 1 1/2” returns. I had planned on installing 2 Durso drains. My question is: Wouldni be better off installing 1 Herbie? Or would that not provide enough drain. Thanks in advance.

DD138463-4E61-42B6-8C8F-E86684149E75.jpeg F36BBE54-AE66-4EBA-A334-97600293322B.jpeg
Without beating a dead horse, or trying to monopolize the responses you're getting, I'll give my bit after thinking about it.

With a 300g DT and a not yet known sump size ...
You're looking for about 255-280 Total Volume PLUS your sump volume.
The ideal amount of flow through a sump, as recommended by the web, is about 5.5x system volume. This number is derived from what many feel is the ideal flow for a skimmer. So, 280 x 5.5 = 1,540gph PLUS your sump.
You will be asking your drains to handle this flow. I recommend you plan your system so that ONE drain pipe can handle this flow.
Nothing worse than water on the floor.
You can play with this number as you feel, based on whatever skimmer you decide to purchase, and based on how many Total Gallons your system is, and the skimmer's flow requirements.

You posed the question about Durso vs Herbie.
Herbie is my recommendation - no question.

Now to your drilled sizes.
You had them drill, according to you, 2- 1 3/4” drains and 2- 1 1/2” returns
I don't know for sure what sizes your holes are, or what bulkhead sizes they translate to. I'm hoping it means 1-1/2" drains and 1" returns.

Regardless, If you run a Herbie with 1 main siphon and 1 emergency pipe, and 2 x return lines you'll be fine. But, I recommend you upsize the drains to 1-1/2" right below the box/right after the bulkheads.
I don't feel a single 1" drain will be safe enough. It can't handle the Gravity flow of a 1" pipe. Max is less than 1,000gph
It's up to you. I'm just trying to give you enough information to keep your floor dry.

You need to look at the total amount of water you'll be pushing with your return.
Think about this.
Your system needs to handle ALL the flow of your return pump in a situation where ANY of your pipes is THE ONE drain.
So, can your main drain handle the 1500+gph of your return pump in a No Siphon situation?
Or can the emergency?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions needed:
Recently purchased a 300 gallon Planet aquarium. I had them drill 2- 1 3/4” drains and 2- 1 1/2” returns. I had planned on installing 2 Durso drains. My question is: Wouldni be better off installing 1 Herbie? Or would that not provide enough drain. Thanks in advance.

DD138463-4E61-42B6-8C8F-E86684149E75.jpeg F36BBE54-AE66-4EBA-A334-97600293322B.jpeg
Can you clarify the hole sizes ?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. Which one do you think would provide more flow?

yes I agree. Should I make one of the 3/4” returns a 2nd emergency drain and just have a single 3/4” return? I’d love to hear some real gph numbers from anyone with a 1” Herbie

I have a dedicated filtration room behind the tank so I have plenty of room. I was just hoping for everything to be nice and neat on this build. Worst cas scenario is I do exactly what you mentioned. I’ll either go with 2 Herbie setups or a bean animal with two 3/4” emergency backups. First I’m going to try one Herbie drain with two 3/4” returns and see how it goes.

@cmalley Going off topic a bit, your in-wall tank is awesome. I considered doing something like that when we built our house, but regret never pulled the trigger. Looks like a project start up, but I'd be curious to any humidity issues and/or heat issues in the tank or in the fishroom. I suspect an fan exhaust like a beefed up bathroom fan. Do you have a build thread? =)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back