Dusky wrasse damaged mouth/broken jaw

reefscrub_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m new to this forum. Well new to posting at least.

Anyway I received this juvenile dusky wrasse (2.5 inches) from liveaquaria today. I noticed it was extremely stressed and in very rough physical shape. Looked bruised and bit on the body, breathing heavy, wanting to jump out of the bag, floating upside down. Seemed like a goner.

I gave it a bath in methylene blue following the instructions recommended by @humble.fish for 25 minutes. Seemed a lot better. Carefully put it into a tank and seemed off, anyway an hour later it’s acting perfectly fine swimming and picking at the rocks.

However I noticed it’s bottom mouth is pretty much missing and it’s upper looks rough. It picks at the rocks because I have tons of pods but not sure it can catch them with the mouth like that.

Question is can the mouth heal?

F17B9885-5F7D-455B-B866-379D5E62632E.jpeg 8F794C8D-16C8-4D17-A022-FF028AD27290.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - I missed your post yesterday.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Actually, for this forum, "bumps" don't work as well as just posting once. I scan the "unanswered messages" for fish diseases, when you reply to your own post, it has "been answered" and drops off that list so I assume somebody has answered you.

Can you take a picture under white light? I can't really make out in details in the photo. I think though, that I can see enough to tell that part of the fish's jawbone is missing. They cannot heal from that. I would contact Live Aquaria and let them know.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back