Dusky wrasse damaged mouth/broken jaw

reefscrub_

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
51
Reaction score
23
Location
Rancho cucamonga
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m new to this forum. Well new to posting at least.

Anyway I received this juvenile dusky wrasse (2.5 inches) from liveaquaria today. I noticed it was extremely stressed and in very rough physical shape. Looked bruised and bit on the body, breathing heavy, wanting to jump out of the bag, floating upside down. Seemed like a goner.

I gave it a bath in methylene blue following the instructions recommended by @humble.fish for 25 minutes. Seemed a lot better. Carefully put it into a tank and seemed off, anyway an hour later it’s acting perfectly fine swimming and picking at the rocks.

However I noticed it’s bottom mouth is pretty much missing and it’s upper looks rough. It picks at the rocks because I have tons of pods but not sure it can catch them with the mouth like that.

Question is can the mouth heal?

F17B9885-5F7D-455B-B866-379D5E62632E.jpeg 8F794C8D-16C8-4D17-A022-FF028AD27290.jpeg
 

Sorry - I missed your post yesterday.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Actually, for this forum, "bumps" don't work as well as just posting once. I scan the "unanswered messages" for fish diseases, when you reply to your own post, it has "been answered" and drops off that list so I assume somebody has answered you.

Can you take a picture under white light? I can't really make out in details in the photo. I think though, that I can see enough to tell that part of the fish's jawbone is missing. They cannot heal from that. I would contact Live Aquaria and let them know.

Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new