Dusky wrasse with other wrasses

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with a dusky wrasse with other wrasses? I’d be curious to know if they’re ok with fairy wrasses, specifically the naoko. But also, would they be compatible other types?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with a dusky wrasse with other wrasses? I’d be curious to know if they’re ok with fairy wrasses, specifically the naoko. But also, would they be compatible other types?
What size tank is it? They should be alright however it’s the other wrasses you need to be cautious with.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure at this point. I already have the naoko, I really like the dusky so those are the main 2 I’m curious about. I do have a checkerboard (marble) wrasse in my qt right now. That one is actually going to a friends tank, however I’m not sure if they’re gonna end up taking it. So for that matter, would the checkerboard be ok with the other 2?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any thoughts on the checkerboard with the naoko and a dusky?
Don’t do it, Checkerboards are nasty. They will end up going against the dusky and any other wrasses you want.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. I mean technically I’m just quarantining it for a friend but I think she’s leaning away from it since she’s got a large melanarus.

Rainblood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dusky with a melanurus, yellow coris and china wrasse in a 150.
The dusky and melanurus are the same size, followed by the yellow coris and then the china.
They've been fine for about a year+ but the dusky has started transitioning from doodoo grey to blue and will now sometimes chase the yellow and china now. Nothing severe...I'm just keeping an eye out.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any thoughts on the checkerboard with the naoko and a dusky?
My checkerboard is a monster. Almost killed my dusky which I had to catch and move to another tank. The checkerboard already killed my melanurus and leopard. It also quickly decimated my snails and hermits.

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dusky with a melanurus, yellow coris and china wrasse in a 150.
The dusky and melanurus are the same size, followed by the yellow coris and then the china.
They've been fine for about a year+ but the dusky has started transitioning from doodoo grey to blue and will now sometimes chase the yellow and china now. Nothing severe...I'm just keeping an eye out.

How long did it take for your Dusky to start transitioning... I've had mine for ~18 months and he's still doodoo grey

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0388.jpeg
IMG_1573.jpeg
IMG_4747.jpeg
Took mine about 3 years to reach maturity

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My absolute favorite fish. Unfortunately I’ve had to downsize to a reefer250 due to a leak in my larger tank. The wrasse is 4 inches and only was grey for 4 months or so. Hopefully will have our house built by the end of the year and will be able to put in a 120 gallon. That being said I’ve found that its current size it is doing very well in the smaller tank.
It was previously with a yellow head wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse with no problems. The only fish it has had problems with was my cb angel but they have since settled their differences.

Will never not have one in a tank.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did fine with my cleaner wrasse, was aggressive for the first few weeks during feeding but she seems to have calmed down now.

Rainblood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take for your Dusky to start transitioning... I've had mine for ~18 months and he's still doodoo grey
It was a very long time...over ~1 year before I started to see some color and it was about 4" when I initially got it. I've almost rehomed it twice because I thought it was going to stay grey but its really starting to look beautiful now albeit a tad bit more aggressive

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back