OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY got this **** light hung. This was a MAJOR pain in the ***. I'll be honest, I woulda chose a different fixture purely for the purpose of having an available suspension kit. I don't EVER want to do this again.

I honestly hope I hung it at the right depth. 10 inches off the water level. If thats not right, screw it.

Pics

JMMJ13902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful setup. You gotta really baby that acrylic tank...they are scratches very easily and you pretty much can't razor blade them.

Can't wait to see it up and running. Also you did a great job on hang that light. Looks perfect!!

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup. You gotta really baby that acrylic tank...they are scratches very easily and you pretty much can't razor blade them.

Can't wait to see it up and running. Also you did a great job on hang that light. Looks perfect!!

Yea I plan to baby it. Thanks alot!

Can't wait to have it up and running.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got all my drain plumbing done. Was going to wait on a couple of friends to help, but I've done everything else myself (cept for the actual tank and stuff), and kinda wanted to be able to say I've designed this and built it from ground up myself. So I did it today. Think it came out okay.

Was going to do the 2 returns as well, but I forgot 2 adapters I need to screw into the 3/4" bulkheads and by the time I figured it out, Lowe's and Home Depot are close for Christmas, sucks too, cause I was going to be done with all plumbing and leak check the entire thing tomorrow.

Pics

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely setup. But I would add some unions in there most of all on the line for the pump just a little heads up you never know when you may have to change something

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I took your advice and put another union right before the check value, so that makes a total of 6 unions now. I'll post pics in abit.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm freaking LIVID right now. Got my new flipper max magnet in, and while I was doing my leak check I used it to wipe all the dust that was all over it in the inside, while it was filled with water cause it had micro bubbles everywhere. Looked fine. Then I drained it. I've got TONS of micro scratches EVERYWHERE on the tank.

I just want to cry right now.

Really hard to get a good picture of them, but 2 of the best ones I could. I really had to zoom in. This is the scratches. I'm sure they would disappear with water, but honestly this is a brand new tank, shouldn't have even happened and I don't want them there.

Ordered the Novus Kit, hopefully it works as good as everyone says.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang man so sorry!

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I sent a somewhat nasty email to Flipper Cleaners. Had their owner/Manager call me about 30 min after, just now. Told me this was the first he had heard of something like this. Said he felt bad, asked me who I ordered the magnet through, I told him Amazon and it happened to be their company on Amazon. So he's going to reimburse me for the magnet first step and it cost me $64 for the novus kit + buff pads etc. And hes going to try to reimburse me for that as well.

Decent solution. Still have to buff it all out on my brand new tank, but I get to keep the magnet which I'll still use, will just put a magic eraser or an algae scrub pad from foster and smith in between it.

And I get reimbursed, so I'm kinda happy. Not really but its acceptable. Good customer service.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man sorry to hear about the tank. Nice that they are trying to make up for it. I stopped using magnet cleaners for that same reason.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just won me 100$ in a bet I had.! .

Jk

Anyways was it the inside or outside? Don't go OK cray looks like minor scratches should come out easy doooooooooo nooooooott distort the acrylic by goingtoo deep.

Best of luck and watch a tonnnnn of videos if never done before .!

You got this.

Good things always have bumps in the road. At leastyoull have experience inns matter for future tanks andfriends tanks.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just won me 100$ in a bet I had.! .

Jk

Anyways was it the inside or outside? Don't go OK cray looks like minor scratches should come out easy doooooooooo nooooooott distort the acrylic by goingtoo deep.

Best of luck and watch a tonnnnn of videos if never done before .!

You got this.

Good things always have bumps in the road. At leastyoull have experience inns matter for future tanks andfriends tanks.

LOL Rob I hope I did win you a bet! Make it easy to get coral from you in the future!

Yea I plan on watching a ton of videos!

And it was in the inside I believe.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks to a friend yesterday before I did my leak check, he spent the day with me and helped me re-do my plumbing as my first leak check proved to be a disaster. Unions/bulkheads leaking all over, wasn't fun. But he helped me and we redid some sections and I like it even better than when I did it!

Also changed the way I was going to run my return, added a union on my return line going to the pump and hard plumbed it instead of doing hose. I like it better, much cleaner look.

Leak check went great (except for the scratches).

Some pics.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay got a question. So I did get a Polycarbonate lid with this tank, as I now I have a MH setup, this lid is out of the question. Will prove to have to much heat. I was hoping that he would have put little brackets all around the eurobracing to hold the lid.

Yea that didn't happen. He just made the lid bigger than the opening of the tank, so it sat on top. So i need to decide on a new lid. I've done the DIY screen kits before. I didn't care for it, mainly because any cords sticking out of your tank (Heater, Gyre) make it a pain. So lately I've been doing Eggcrate with mesh screen on it zip-tied. This lets me have the edges of the eggcrate for cords, works decently.

But that would be if I had it sitting inside the opening, not over the top. So I don't know what to do. Honestly I'd like to have no lid, but I believe the Blue-Spotted Jawfish and I would come to disagreements on this subject.

Suggestions?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%

Back